Curious about a few observations from here.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonLB

Reaction score
There is a definite trend towards certain things with the boat builds here. I was curious why.

For instance Camo. I can't for the life of me think of why you would paint your boat camo, unless you hunt with it. And even then, it's usually a generic camo that I can't see being useful for duck hunting.

I guess this could just come down to liking camo, but the painted boats look so nice. And I don't really care for camo.

There other is the REALLY tall decks. Other than the few times site fishing is a viable tactic, you really don't need a tall deck. As long as the deck is tall enough to work every type of lure, that is all you need.

Anyone care to comment?

Your subject almost seems as it's purpose is to create controversy. Just because it is not for you does not mean it is not for everybody regardless of reason. It is like asking someone why did you buy a Honda because you drive a Chevy or why did you buy a 2 story house just because you own a 1 story house. So I guess my answer to your question is simple. Everybody has thier own style or taste so they do what they want and just because it is not right for you does not make it wrong or stupid. Sorry to be such a bear but it seems like a pointless conversation. It's is called style and it is up to the individual. :)

You pretty much answered the camo question yourself. Personal preference (liking camo), and useful for those that possibly duck hunt, although it may not be an exact "match" to the area hunted. As an example, I heard the Army might be going to a multi-camo type uniform that will blend in with multiple areas. The higher decks facilitate below deck storage, making maximum use of designed space.

I personally think that camo is for hunting - but I could care less about the color of the boat (or even if it has paint) -Boats are for fishing - If I want to look flashy i just wear my plaid shorts!

I am with capt ahab. I wouldn't worry about color at all. As far as high decks it is all about fishing style. If you fish for many species in open environments then there is no need for higher decks but if you are a bass fisherman dealing with different approaches like flipping and pitching then the elevated deck is a must.

My boat is getting camoed for several reasons. First off, I'm a redneck and I just like camo!! Second, I'm not a professional painter nor do I have the proper equipment to do a quality paint job. Anyone can do a rattle can camo job and make it look decent. Lastly, my boat is an old beater and flat camo paint will hide all the dings and dents better than a solid color gloss finish.

My boat isnt getting decks because its not wide enough and I'm fat. The whole center of gravity thing. plus I have young children that I would like to take fishing with me. If my kids were older and I had a larger boat, it would definately get completely decked. Gives tons of storage room which is huge on a fishing boat and it's just easier to fish in my opinion. Most of my pryer boating has been done on bass boats and I just like being on the boat rather than in the boat.

Also if there wasnt a bunch of people modding these boats there wouldnt be a need for a cool site like this and we just cant have that!!!

i agree with all the above, preference do do you want with your own stuff, redneck camo is far better that advantage max 28D, plaid shorts are nice but i prefer daisy dukes, the the people on this great site only give great advise and praise to one another, I haven't saw any negative comments that weren't immediatly smashed

I have an 05 Tracker that is red, I wish it wasn't painted. I won't take the paint off, but scratches show up on paint more so than plain aluminum.

some guys have higher decks for bowfishing, at least around these parts thats what ive seen them being used for.....

gouran01 said:
the people on this great site only give great advise and praise to one another, I haven't saw any negative comments that weren't immediatly smashed

I'm not sure I follow.

My post wasn't negative. Just wondering why there is a definite pattern to the way boats are rebuilt here.

The paint is purely subjective, but raised decks are not. They will make a boat less stable, and are usually placed unnecessarily high.

I agree that some of the boats on here are framed like houses and look heavy and unstable. But it is a great site and we are all or most of us are amateur boat people. I'm sure the ones who didn't take some things into consideration when building will do so on the next one. My front deck is very stable to fish from and the chitty army looking paint job is because I'm not good at painting.

Some of it is exploration - pushing the envelope - trying something a little different that will work just for you. Or trying your own ideas - taking the picture in your head and putting it out there in reality just to see how well, or even if, it will work.

Some of it is making the best of what you got or making what you got a little bit better for your own purposes. Most of us ain't got 6-car garages.

Some of it is "style points" for personal satisfaction. Having something that is unique to you, that you put together with your own hands. Like a guy who restores and drives a '67 1/2 Mustang. Impractical, gas-guzzler, expensive to maintain. But style points are off the chart.

For me, its a combination of all of the above. So far, I've only finished the trailer, but I've got something there that I couldn't have bought anywhere and that I restored with my own hands. I've got personal satisfaction from knowing that I did this and the feedback from this forum only makes me want to keep going. I've actually driven out to boat ramps to check out other peoples' trailers to compare mine against their's. In my mind, I've got the best looking boat trailer in the county, right now. That's style points. Of course, ain't nobody keeping score but me. 8)

Check out Brine's Never-ending Build, now known as Brine Craft. His urban camo paint job isn't about catching fish. It's about catching eyes and knowing that he has put together something unique and being able to say, "Yeah, I did that myself.' That's style points.

I added a front and rear casting deck to my boat and it is certainly not even a little unstable. Depending on where and how you fish, bass fishing especially is much more effective if you can get up above the water

LonLB said:
gouran01 said:
the people on this great site only give great advise and praise to one another, I haven't saw any negative comments that weren't immediatly smashed

I'm not sure I follow.

My post wasn't negative. Just wondering why there is a definite pattern to the way boats are rebuilt here.

The paint is purely subjective, but raised decks are not. They will make a boat less stable, and are usually placed unnecessarily high.

I have high raised decks in my boat, it has no issues with stability. They are high for one reason...bass fishing. it's awful hard to pitch and flip a jig from the bottom of a V bottom boat.

Latest posts