Anchor suggestions?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for an anchor for a 14 foot aluminum boat?
I plan on using it mostly in saltwater, either in the bays or a little further out.
I've looked at the Bass Pro website, they have many different types to choose from.
Just wondering if anyone has information regarding the different types and which would work best.
Also, do you use a chain or rope or both?
Thanks

i would(and do) use a 2ft peice of chain for sure(helps a lot by way of keeping the anchor in contact with the bottom). depends on what kind of bottom content your trying to anchor on to give any advice though........

I suggest a Danforth style (they are rated by boat length so get one for less then a 20 foot boat)

at least 4 feet of chain - the chain helps the anchor get the proper angle to "bite" into the bottom. Longer chain - easier anchoring. On my 16 foot boat i use a 5' chain for the Danforth and a 3' for the grapple style

On the big boat we run 15' of chain

shawnfish said:
i would(and do) use a 2ft peice of chain for sure(helps a lot by way of keeping the anchor in contact with the bottom). depends on what kind of bottom content your trying to anchor on to give any advice though........

I will be fishing mostly in the saltwater Bay, I know there will be sand, but I'm also thinking rocks, seaweed, etc.

Captain Ahab said:
I suggest a Danforth style (they are rated by boat length so get one for less then a 20 foot boat)

at least 4 feet of chain - the chain helps the anchor get the proper angle to "bite" into the bottom. Longer chain - easier anchoring. On my 16 foot boat i use a 5' chain for the Danforth and a 3' for the grapple style

On the big boat we run 15' of chain

Bass Pro carries the fluke anchor, my only concern is if it will get stuck in occasional rocks.
I used to rent skiffs in the Bay and I think they used the mushroom types, but they never seemed to hold well, so I want to avoid those.
The only other option is the Navy anchor, which could be good, I don't know.
Have you ever had any issues with your anchor getting stuck in rocks or anything?

I use this one. If I get stuck, I just drive over it and the ring slides to the bottom and then pulls the anchor out. Never gets stuck. (BTW, I have a 16' tin)
418.jpeg

huntinfool said:
I use this one. If I get stuck, I just drive over it and the ring slides to the bottom and then pulls the anchor out. Never gets stuck. (BTW, I have a 16' tin)

Thanks,
I figured I was going to end up with something similar.
I think I'm going to get an anchor today, I'll post what I end up with.
I appreciate it.

huntinfool said:

This is what I ended up with, the same as huntinfool's, pictured above.
I then went to Lowe's and got 4 feet of coated chain, and 100 feet of 7/16 nylon rope.
I don't know if I'll ever need 100 feet, but I figure if I go outside of the bay I have the rope there.

I bought one of these folding anchors for my boat. It comes with its own bag and rope and stores away easily. It works fine too.

anchor_05.jpg

Bait, that is a nice setup. We bought 2 of those for my fiance's family's jet skis. They work much better than trying to tie the jet skis to the boat every time. Just toss the anchor out and come back and just clip onto it.

Latest posts