Switching from small 12' to big 17'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpix

Reaction score
And the time has come. All my previous life i've been fishing with a 1236 flat bottom. Lots of great days, the tightest spots have been stormed, lots of full moon nights rowing with the water as a mirror, incredible memories, many laughs and lots of fish, and as well, sore arms, depleted trolling batteries at the middle of nowhere, leaking rivets, 3 persons only, tight as hell, sometimes great, sometimes not comfortable at all.

Then, 3 years ago, I lost the very best friend of my father that happens to be my godfather, in an stupid car accident . A hell of a good person he was, and his goodbye stroke me bad. But then i tought, how the hell we are still fishing on this tincan anymore? How i have been missing how come i actually have the means to get something better and eventually take my sons with me with safe and lots of space.

My father and me decided to get a new, barebones, open space 17' mod v. We plan to fit some more chairs, a drivers console and a 60hp 4 stroke motor.

Cant find a smaller picture to show it... look it here, copy paste the link...
https://www.loweboats.com/images/showroom/welded-jon/roughneck-jon/f1860/picture.png

The boat in question is something along the lines of a Lowe Roughneck Frontier 17, a Tracker Grizzly, basically a cargo jon with flat open floorplan

Well, I have never pulled a trailer before! I have like 10 years without climbing into a fast boat, and never never i have skied and would like to one day. A Livewell never's been on our boats, too.

How do you think the change will impact and improve our fishing? How does it feel a boat like that with 60hp? Is it too much for a 500 lb boat?
I'd like to hear your experiences :D

Man with a 60hp outboard. This boats gonna fly. I only have a 15hp and I move pretty good. Hopefully you can upload some pics of your boat soon

Anyone else? What happens with light hull and powerful motor? Doesnt this thing Will do wheelies all day long without a sweat? :LOL2:
What does happens when finally you get an nice upgrade after like half your life? =D>

I made a similar switch this year. I went from a 1232 Sears jon boat in the back of my pickup to a 1988 Tracker TX-17 (basically a 1749). The step up is huge and I am so incredibly happy. My boat is rated for up to a 80 hp, I will be repowering at some point

How much you're rocking at this moment? 40hp?

To be honest, i've been dreaming of it the last month. My father accepted the idea, he found a real great place to keep it (closed, clean, big door opening), and since he's turning 70 in few days, im assuming he wants his grandsons to get fishing with us when they get 5 o 6 years old. For me, my bussiness grew from the previous 3 years where investing on it was the norm. We are putting 50/50 on it. Brand new... Feels like christmas at the middle of the year!

so, tell me, what are the hightlights of getting a bigger boat? what did you liked of switching?

Latest posts