Bow Stop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
The trailer that I bought had a modification done to the bow stop...I had to Sawzall a piece off of the part that forms a Y.
I now have a Y shape that forms a square on the bottom of the opening with holes on either side to accomodate a bow stop.
It measures 3" across in the square part, but the V doesn't spread out that far.
I bought a 3" V style stop and the V on the stop was too wide, so I took it back and got a roller type stop that measured 3" across, but that doesn't fit, too tight.
Any ideas?

I got lost with the "square" and the "v" talk, and the pic didn't help me. If the problem is what I'm thinking, can you just cut down a stop from off the shelf to fit it?

Brine said:
I got lost with the "square" and the "v" talk, and the pic didn't help me. If the problem is what I'm thinking, can you just cut down a stop from off the shelf to fit it?

Yea, I now have the 3 inch roller type, and it seems that the opening that it goes into is about 2 7/8 inches. I could perhaps shave that down on either side so that it fits and even rolls. If you look at the pic, I believe you can see where the holes are for the center of the roller. Do you think I should cut the Y portion above where the roller would sit?
Or...
I could try to find another conventional V type stop, and maybe try to open up the metal Y on the bow to make one fit.

boarhog said:
I think your bunks are not quite long enough. Must have been a jon boat trailer in a prior life.

I got the boat without a trailer, so the bunks are not perfectly correct for my boat. Eventually I'd like to figure out what to do with the bunks.

It's not important that the stop rolls, just that it provides a secure place for the bow to seat. It looks like the bow eye would be better off under the stop, instead of hooking on the tip of the bow. Next time you get a chance, you might slide the boat back a foot, and take a pic of the bow stop from the angle of the trailer tongue.

Then again, I might be the only one who could use another pic to help you out.

Going off of what I've read, I'd get a Y stop and put a sander to it and take off a 1/16 on each side.

Brine said:
It's not important that the stop rolls, just that it provides a secure place for the bow to seat. It looks like the bow eye would be better off under the stop, instead of hooking on the tip of the bow. Next time you get a chance, you might slide the boat back a foot, and take a pic of the bow stop from the angle of the trailer tongue.

Then again, I might be the only one who could use another pic to help you out.

Going off of what I've read, I'd get a Y stop and put a sander to it and take off a 1/16 on each side.

Thanks,
I'll see if I can get another pic of the area. My son's phone seems to be the only camera that downloads, so I have to get him to take a pic.
So you think the boat is too far up?

Shave down the roller to get it to fit, it's ok if it doesn't spin. Also you need to get a new bow eye put on the boat, the way you have it set-up now will allow the boat to move around a lot when trailering. Could even allow it to slide back a good foot and a half. picture shows the location for a new bow eye
boat6.jpg

That is very odd. The nose of the boat actually parks in front of the winch. If the boat slid back on the trailer, the strap wouldn't stop it until it was tight. Looks to be more than a foot and a half of play if something like that were to happen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the winch supposed to be in front of the boat to not only hold it down, but keep it from sliding back.

Could you remount the winch on top of the bar instead of on the inside? It still wouldn't be perfect, but it would be better than where is is located now.

Attachments

• bowstop.jpg
    bowstop.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 642
Derek said:
Shave down the roller to get it to fit, it's ok if it doesn't spin. Also you need to get a new bow eye put on the boat, the way you have it set-up now will allow the boat to move around a lot when trailering. Could even allow it to slide back a good foot and a half. picture shows the location for a new bow eye

What I was thinking... Thanks for posting the pic (and the artwork)

Derek said:

Thank you Derek, I appreciate that.

baseball_guy_99 said:
Could you remount the winch on top of the bar instead of on the inside? It still wouldn't be perfect, but it would be better than where is is located now.

Thanks for your input.
This is my first boat and trailer, and I don't know where the winch is suppose to be.
I could move it and see how that works.
I know something isn't quite right.
If you look in the back of the pickup in the pic, you'll see a white piece of metal that I had to cut off of the end of the bow. It was mounted sideways...I have no idea what it was for.

Latest posts