Foam for Floation/Filling unused Space

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking about using that expanable foam fro home depot or lowes.Has anyone tried this or is this the wrong kind of foam?

I plan on taking my 14' out in the Mighty Mississippi and want to have as much floatation in boat as possible.

THERE HAS BEEN MUCH DEBATE ON THESE PRODUCTS AS FAR AS THERE USE AS FLOATATION FOAM, I STUCK A PC OF IT IN A BUCKET OF WATER FOR 3 OR 4 DAYS AND IT NEVER SUCKED UP ANY WATER, SO I USED IT IN MY BOAT, SOME MAY ARGUE THAT ITS NOT RIGHT, BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS, AND IM NOT REDOING IT!!!! :D

i used 2 inch foam from lowes under my floor has foil on one side and clear film on the other long as u don't dump gass on it it's the same stuff that is under your seats in a john boat

You can order the actual 2 part foam that you mix and pour from uscomposites.com . I use the 8lb density for making carbon skinned rod grips on my custom rods, the 2lb. density is what is recommended for boats. It is the same foam that you will see in a boat from the factory. The stuff is kind of expensive but it's pretty easy to work with.....best tip is to mix is with a high speed mixer in your drill.

I used the foam in a can myself on mine, cheaper I think then the real deal, but...floats. I am still adding up the total for my build, but I have also left some open bunks to fill with more spray in stuff...a can a week or so until it is all done.

I have been looking around and alot of the foam made for actual floation is like 40 bucks for 2 cubic feet! With all the additions seems like that is a bit much money! I am trying to look for the best ideas while maintaing as low cost as possible still acomplishing what i wanted.