new to the site searching for info.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newboaterin11

Reaction score
Hey everyone im new to the site and just became a first time boat owner. I just bought a 1648 semi-v that i know very little about and was hoping to get some info, before starting my build.

all i know about the boat is that it is a 1648 semi v, with four factory benches, and riveted. it is marked with the words Sports Kraft on the rear support at the transom. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the name Sports Kraft? NOTE the K in kraft not sports craft.

I got this boat dirt cheap and it will need some work to get it where i want it ( i plan on posting pics before i get started ). it has a small front casting deck which i plan to remove and about 50 years of paint that i need to sand/wire brush off before getting started.

I will be able to handle most of the carpentry work myself (i think). Im going to stay pretty simple with basically just a floor, some swivel seats(mounted to the bench's with a short base), and maybe a storage hatch in the very front. The part i will prob have some questions about is wiring, again im not going to get too elaborate just some running lights, nav lights, a trolling motor, and some led rope lights under the gunwales.

Thanks for any/all advice.

i plan on getting started pretty soon and will need to pick up some supplies. So i was wondering what is the best method for taking off all the old paint, i want to use something that is fast and simple but dont want to use anything that can damage my boat or loosen rivets.

What type of paint and or primer should i go with for the exterior? Im hoping to use a spray can, will rustoleum stand up to the water over time?

I've seen a lot of people talking about a product called steel flex ( i think ) is this something that is good/recommended for all boats or just those that leak? I know that this boat leaks just a little (16-24ounces in 4 hours)but like i said im going to keep things pretty simple and i dont plan on carrying anything that a little water will damage.

how complex do i need to get with wiring? just plan on running trolling motor and nav/driving lights at night. I plan to buy 1 deep cycle should that be plenty for long night catfishing? or should i ditch the rope light idea and get some cheap "stick up" leds.

Sorry for all the questions but although i've been on quite a few jon's ii've never done any work on one and want a safe reliable boat when finished.

Hey....welcome to TinBoats. We're very happy to have you here and congrats on the new boat.

After you post those pics...I'm sure you're going to get lots of advice.

Thanks,i havnt brought it home yet but actually planned to take pics today and it rained before i got a chance. I know the guy that i bought it from pretty well so i did get a chance to remove the old casting deck and the front bench (which was barely hanging on). I figured out that the benches arent filled with foam as i had thought, so im now considering removing the middle bench and adding some kind of light weight flooring (possibly with foam underneath). As you can prob tell im still in the design phase :lol:

I did get a bit of good news. I was a bit worried about the amount of weight this boat could handle as i am a pretty big fella, but the previous owner tells me that he has had as many as 6 people in the boat with no worry. I never plan on fishing with more than a 1 possibly 2 people.

Will post some pictures in the next day or two! BTW love the site! just from browsing around i see there are some great references here and people seem more than willing to help.

Has anyone out there heard of sports kraft? I've searched and searched and cant seem to find any info on sports kraft semi v's or jons.

Be sure to update your profile too, some members might even be willing to lend a hand!

Latest posts