Oars

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
Do you use a pair of oars, or do you use only one in case your motor stalls?

I can't decide whether I want to have two 6 foot plus oars to deal with, or to just keep one short one handy.
I do like the idea of having two at the ready, but I can see that they could take up alot of space.

lovedr79 said:
i carry one. mounted on the front of one of the benches

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I'll prob. end up doing the same, unless I am convinced otherwise.

I carry a short wooden one in the under seat storage. I have seen expandable ones at wally world, so they might fit your needs.

Well, That's 100 % going for the one small oar as opposed to the two larger ones.

I have 2 small oars/paddles from a small inflatable boat, very easy to store.

I don't carry any, but I probably should. I figured I'd use my troller to get me back as far as possible if something happened.

I carry one telescoping mini paddle. It takes up little space and can be stored very easily.

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops%C2%AE-Telescoping-Mini-Paddle/product/52474/-1012995

bcritch said:
I carry one telescoping mini paddle. It takes up little space and can be stored very easily.

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops%C2%AE-Telescoping-Mini-Paddle/product/52474/-1012995

I do the same.

I carry the little telescoping paddle as well becuase its required by law in FL to have a paddle. If I ever had to use it to get anywhere I might as well be "up the creek without a paddle"! Pun INTENDED. Its essentially useless. I use it to check water depth and push off of things.

Cell Phone, or trolling motor is the way to go.

I have the two 6' wooden ones, but mainly because they came with the boat when I bought it....I do use one on occasion, since i don't have a trolling motor...I'll use one to kind of keep me going in a somewhat straight line around the little lake i fish at, almost like a gondolier pole...pushing off and ruddering a bit....but a trolling motor is in the very near future, so I'll probably ditch the big ones and get a/some collapsible ones....

I was just at Bass Pro and ended up getting 1 four foot wooden oar.
I figure I can stow pretty easily.
I didn't see the yellow telescoping paddle, those are nice.
They had a few other telescoping ones, but I've gotta slow down on the money I'm throwing into this boat, the oar I got was 12.99.

You got what I got. When I need a paddle I want a good stout one. Collapsable and plastic sounds like bad news when you really, really need one. Mine is used every time I go out since it's my 'reverse' :)

They make pretty good lure retrievers and snake beaters too.

PS, did you get the good hangers while at BPS? Wally world doesn't carry them here and both BPS's are 60 miles away...

Jamie

I had 2 of the orange telescopic kind in my last boat which was only a 12ft. It didn't take much to have one of them break on me. I opted for a solid 4 piece one this time in the 16ftr, and it fits in my rod box. I knew if I ever needed it, I'd want a good one and those particular telescopic kinds were junk.

Ranchero50 said:
You got what I got. When I need a paddle I want a good stout one. Collapsable and plastic sounds like bad news when you really, really need one. Mine is used every time I go out since it's my 'reverse' :)

They make pretty good lure retrievers and snake beaters too.

PS, did you get the good hangers while at BPS? Wally world doesn't carry them here and both BPS's are 60 miles away...

Jamie

I'm not sure what you mean by hangers...are you talking about the piece that connects the oar to the side of the boat?
I just got the oar itself.

reedjj said:
There is a difference between an oar and a paddle.

Oars fit into Oar locks and you row the boat. A paddle is what you use in a canoe,and a Kayak paddle is just a double sided paddle.

Okay, thanks for that.
I picked up a 4 foot wood paddle.

I have a telescoping paddle that I used in my sailing dinghy. It worked but was hard to keep the boat straight. I had to constantly change sides to try and keep it straight.

We sold the sailboat and used the paddle on the fiberglass boat. Forget it, too small to be of any use. Our second fiberglass boat was even heavier and was really useless. Thank goodness for good cell phone signals on our last outing.

My newest aluminum project had the oar lock features so bought two new oar locks, sleeves and two used 6 foot paddles. I just mounted the trolling motor on the front the other day and mounted the outboard today (don't know if it will run though). One way or the other, we have propulsion!

nomowork said:
I have a telescoping paddle that I used in my sailing dinghy. It worked but was hard to keep the boat straight. I had to constantly change sides to try and keep it straight.

We sold the sailboat and used the paddle on the fiberglass boat. Forget it, too small to be of any use. Our second fiberglass boat was even heavier and was really useless. Thank goodness for good cell phone signals on our last outing.

My newest aluminum project had the oar lock features so bought two new oar locks, sleeves and two used 6 foot paddles. I just mounted the trolling motor on the front the other day and mounted the outboard today (don't know if it will run though). One way or the other, we have propulsion!

My boat came with the oar locks as well, which is probably why I posed the question to begin with. I do like the idea of having two oars along with locks and hardware, but I wasn't sure about having to store them.

Latest posts