Line X today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
I am leaving in an hour to get my aluminum boat's interior sprayed with Line X.
I am still unsure about the color.
I am leaning towards either gray or blue.
I gotta stay with a color that will stay cool in the sun.
Any last minute suggestions would be appreciated.

I guess it would be more of personal prefference. But whatever you do be sure to upload some pictures for us tin boaters to see.

Lighter colors will be cooler, but more reflective and hard on the eyes. I'd stay neutral and in the mid tone to slightly lighter range of any color you decide on.

I left my boat at the shop, it's getting done now.
The guy was explaining to me that colors do not have much influence on heat, he said that the properties in Line X act as a barrier to prevent the Sun from heating up the metal underneath.
He went on to say that he could take two white trucks, and spray black line x in one of them, and leave them in the hot sun, and the one with black line x would be cooler than the white metal.
So he talked me into going with the color that I had originally wanted, charcoal gray.
So I've got my fingers crossed, I'll post pics when I can.

sirbeigealot said:
The guy was explaining to me that colors do not have much influence on heat, he said that the properties in Line X act as a barrier to prevent the Sun from heating up the metal underneath.
He went on to say that he could take two white trucks, and spray black line x in one of them, and leave them in the hot sun, and the one with black line x would be cooler than the white metal.
So he talked me into going with the color that I had originally wanted, charcoal gray.

That's the color I would have gone with, but....I'd need proof of his claims before I could believe him. :wink:

fender66 said:
sirbeigealot said:

That's the color I would have gone with, but....I'd need proof of his claims before I could believe him. :wink:

Well, he is an older man who seemed to have alot of experience in the field, and he ahs done alot of boats (alot of Line X dealers do not do boats) and everything he said made sense, and I figured that since all of the colors cost the same, he really had no reason to steer me to any particular color. I believed him when he said that it is a common misconception that lighter colors are cooler...

sirbeigealot said:
fender66 said:
sirbeigealot said:

Well, he is an older man who seemed to have alot of experience in the field, and he ahs done alot of boats (alot of Line X dealers do not do boats) and everything he said made sense, and I figured that since all of the colors cost the same, he really had no reason to steer me to any particular color. I believed him when he said that it is a common misconception that lighter colors are cooler...

Oh...don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying he's wrong.....I'm just saying that I'd need proof. That's all.

Sounds good.

I think another misconception I disproved was that having a white coating would be "blinding". Not to me at least. I don't even notice it. That might be because when I'm on the front deck, I don't have alot of it around me like a wider boat may. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Fender,
I agree with you, I wish there was some kind of proof. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find anything on the different colors.

Brine said:
Sounds good.

I think another misconception I disproved was that having a white coating would be "blinding". Not to me at least. I don't even notice it. That might be because when I'm on the front deck, I don't have alot of it around me like a wider boat may. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Thanks Brine, hope it looks good!

Check out the last pages of my build and see for yourself. 8)

Brine said:
Check out the last pages of my build and see for yourself. 8)

Looks great!
https://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww216/closetfisherman/Paint/P3140423.jpg

I called the Line X guy awhile ago...he said that he ran into a little problem.
He said that he had to add a "5/15" primer, meaning that he has to prime it and wait 5 hours, then line it within 15 hours. So the boat won't be ready until tomorrow.
I'll have to pick it up after work.

Can't wait to see the pictures of the finish!

I went a combination of cheap and expensive. The outside hull was painted using Interlux primer and paint. The inside was done with Rustoleum primer and paint. The wooden seating areas and floors were done with non-skid cement paint. I don't know how well the floors will hold up, but it was cheap!

nomowork said:
Can't wait to see the pictures of the finish!

I went a combination of cheap and expensive. The outside hull was painted using Interlux primer and paint. The inside was done with Rustoleum primer and paint. The wooden seating areas and floors were done with non-skid cement paint. I don't know how well the floors will hold up, but it was cheap!

Sounds good...
If this wasn't my Dad's old boat, I wouldn't be spending this kind of money on it. :wink:

fender66 said:
sirbeigealot said:
The Line X shop's sprayer is down...they still haven't sprayed my boat, maybe tomorrow.

Tick-tock...Tick-tock...Tick-tock...Tick-tock...Tick-tock...Tick-tock!

Exactly!
I dropped it off Thursday morning, fully expecting to pick it up that afternoon.
When I didn't hear from them I called, and the guy tells me that the sprayer is down and that they are waiting for a repairman.
I didn't call yesterday because I figured that if it was done he'd call me to get the boat out of the way.

Looks like I may not be able to get it until my next day off which is Thursday again.
The only reason I haven't picked up the boat and gone elsewhere is because he is alot cheaper than all of the other dealers I contacted.

With the 5/15 primer didn't you say they have to wait 5 hours then line it WITHIN 15 hours? Looks like they might have missed their window.

Latest posts