Screw hole sealants

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhockins

Reaction score
I'm putting in a new wood transom on the back of my aluminum bass boat. The transom sits in between two thin walls of aluminum. The three layers are held together with 2 1/4 inch screws and nylon lock nuts, and also with the motor mount bolts. I want to seal the ends of the screws (where the head and lock nuts tighten up to the aluminum) and need advice on what sealant to use. Several of the screw holes are below the waterline. Any recommendations?

there is a product at any box store that is wonderful. its a glue and a sealer... Polyseamseal. very reasonable also.... good luck

I'm doing the same thing right now. The previous owner used 3M 5200 which worked just fine until it came time to remove the bolts. When they say it's permanent, they mean it. When I reassemble everything I'll be using 3M 4200.

Mojo^ said:
I'm doing the same thing right now. The previous owner used 3M 5200 which worked just fine until it came time to remove the bolts. When they say it's permanent, they mean it. When I reassemble everything I'll be using 3M 4200.

Same here. I had to use a rotary cut off tool to cut off the old bolts and nuts. I still use 3M 5200 under or near the water line. Rotary blades are cheaper than sinking.

Latest posts