14' flat bottom, semi-v or v for my next boat??

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
rancocasrich

Post by rancocasrich »

I am beginning to plan for my next boat. I am usually alone when I fish and need a boat that is not too heavy. I presently have a 14' Lund pike with full floor, bass pedestals, live well etc. It is a great boat but I think I want something with bench seats which will eliminate the weight of the wood floor.

I want a 14' aluminum with bench seats, live well, and a place for a battery because I plan to have an electric start motor. My other boat at our vacation cottage is an older, wide jon boat. I like how light it is compared to the Lund. Can forum folks suggest the pros and cons of the various bottoms - flat vs semi vee vs vee bottom? I will use the boat on rivers and lakes but not much on big waters. Also can anyone make suggestions of boat brands that they have and recommend? Thanks.

dr_beerman

Post by dr_beerman »

Mod-V is my preference. It tracks a little straighter than a flat bottom Jon and handles chop ok, but not as good as a deep-v. As far as brands go I have a Starcraft but I think any all-welded boat should be fine. Look for something that is all aluminum including the floor. The new Lowe Stinger 190 is very nice!