Seat Clamps

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
I guess these adustable seat clamps are pretty popular now, as opposed to the stationary ones.
https://www.basspro.com/Wise-Adjustable-Boat-Seat-Clamp/product/10214546/-1564446

But I am reading that they are hard to tighten once it's secured to the bench, and that they tend to slip and move around.
I read one review where the guy leaned back and the clamp slipped off of the bench.
After reading these things, I think I'd rather just go with the stationary base, even if it can't be moved.

Anyone have these issues with the adjustable clamps?

i used them for a while on my old boat.they're ok for moving around the seat bench,but i fell over one too many times,and sold them.i also kept losing the nuts to tighten the clamps.

nomowork said:
sirbeigealot said:
nomowork said:
Just installed two swivel seats last week. The back isn't getting any younger.

Very nice, where did you get your seats?

Bass Pro Shop. It's like the Costco of outdoor living! :mrgreen:

I went ahead and ordered four of the plastic framed ones today.
I also bought the stationary bases, not the adjustable clamp on ones.

i use one I think they are great never had an issue tighten it and never had it move unless I wanted it too. You are not thinking of attaching pedestal to it are ya? if you just mount a seat to it like I did it works fine.

PlainBassCrazy said:
i use one I think they are great never had an issue tighten it and never had it move unless I wanted it too. You are not thinking of attaching pedestal to it are ya? if you just mount a seat to it like I did it works fine.

No, no pedestal, just the mount.
I kept hearing of alot of issues with those clamps, mainly that you couldn't tighten them down enough to be stationary.
Maybe I'll try one and see how it works.

sirbeigealot said:
PlainBassCrazy said:

I kept hearing of alot of issues with those clamps, mainly that you couldn't tighten them down enough to be stationary.

right on! yea they've worked well for me ive been able to tighten them pretty tight dont know how tight others needed theres lol. But im also a bit of a bear so maybe Im able to hand tighten them tighter than others lol. Pliers on the wing nuts might give the leverage needed to tighten them for the softer hand person.

PlainBassCrazy said:
sirbeigealot said:
PlainBassCrazy said:

right on! yea they've worked well for me ive been able to tighten them pretty tight dont know how tight others needed theres lol. But im also a bit of a bear so maybe Im able to hand tighten them tighter than others lol. Pliers on the wing nuts might give the leverage needed to tighten them for the softer hand person.

In your opinion, is there a benefit of being able to move the seat as opposed to have a stationary seat? Do you move the seat around? Being that my boat isn't that big anyways, I'm wondering how much I'd be moving the seats.

I do! while fishing i like my seat in the center while motoring (tiller steering) i like the seat slightly off set from center easier to control the motor for my long arms.

PlainBassCrazy said:
I do! while fishing i like my seat in the center while motoring (tiller steering) i like the seat slightly off set from center easier to control the motor for my long arms.

So they are easy to move around, and easy to tighten?
They have never come looses on you?

In your opinion, is there a benefit of being able to move the seat as opposed to have a stationary seat? Do you move the seat around? Being that my boat isn't that big anyways, I'm wondering how much I'd be moving the seats.

On any aluminum bench seat that had floatation foam in it, no matter how tight I had the clamps, leaning straight back could make them slip. On a wood slat bench you could hook the bottom parts together with rope, and they won't move.

Advantage? depends on your use. I never moved them around during a fishing trip, and don't think I'd want to be tightening/loosening them, while out. But, if the numbers in your fishing party varies, or you want miniminalist for times you do carry-ins, might be worth using. Seats will make manuvering around the boat slightly less flexible. I don't use the clamps anymore, and have no seats in my 14' lite fishmaster.

I like being able to remove the seats, when I have family in the boat they all want to use the deluxe 'prince or princess' chairs whereas I prefer to just use the bench seats.

Also,when not in use the chair can be an obstacle to climb over to do work in the bow, for example, so it's nice to be able to remove them when there's only a 'crew of one' in the boat and I have to navigate, set the anchor, fiddle with electronics, etc.

FuzzyGrub said:

On any aluminum bench seat that had floatation foam in it, no matter how tight I had the clamps, leaning straight back could make them slip. On a wood slat bench you could hook the bottom parts together with rope, and they won't move.

Advantage? depends on your use. I never moved them around during a fishing trip, and don't think I'd want to be tightening/loosening them, while out. But, if the numbers in your fishing party varies, or you want miniminalist for times you do carry-ins, might be worth using. Seats will make manuvering around the boat slightly less flexible. I don't use the clamps anymore, and have no seats in my 14' lite fishmaster.

Thats what I was thinking as far as an advantage...I won't always have four people in the boat, so I'd like to be able to remove what I'm not using.

justnortherns said:

I like being able to remove the seats, when I have family in the boat they all want to use the deluxe 'prince or princess' chairs whereas I prefer to just use the bench seats.

Also,when not in use the chair can be an obstacle to climb over to do work in the bow, for example, so it's nice to be able to remove them when there's only a 'crew of one' in the boat and I have to navigate, set the anchor, fiddle with electronics, etc.

If it was up to me (and it is :) ), I would just have one chair on the back and maybe one in front, making them permanent. But I know that I'm gonna have passengers for a total of four at times...just wondering if its worth it to get the clamp ons...sounds like they are definitely beneficial...just dont want them to be flimsy or shakey.

sirbeigealot said:
PlainBassCrazy said:

they never came loose unless i wanted them too.

PlainBassCrazy said:
sirbeigealot said:
PlainBassCrazy said:

they never came loose unless i wanted them too.

Ok, thanks!

Latest posts