SkinnyWaters anchoring system

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered one and should recieve it any day. for the rare times that I anchor I am not about to pay those crazy prices for a power pole. the skinnywater was the cheapest of the manual anchoring systems. I went with the transom mount and if I like it I will get a bow mount. the only negative I have heard is one guy says if you don't plant it really well, it will float up. the poles do have foam in both ends so they will float if you drop them overboard.

I was more concerned with the brackets on the boat working loose. Let us know what size screws it uses for attaching to the boat and if they are solid.

Looking forward to your report!

I talked to the rep and she said either self tapping screws or bolts. I'll wait to see the bracket before I decide.

Looks like a really bad idea IMHO.

The pole is 8' of aluminum, the bracket is held on with sheetmetal screws...

Exactly what weight boat and what water conditions is this thing going to be used in? Seems to me that any wave action or wake is going to either bend the pole or damage the hull. It's not going to bite in gravel or other hard bottoms and I don't think it'll be very stealthy either. Eight foot pole in three foot of water means I have 4' or so up in the air.

Might be good for a small punt in a mill pond but I don't see it being any better than two 10lb mushroom anchors.

Jamie

you can use bolts if you want. many people are using these manual systems. I would'nt use them in a hurricane, but for most conditions they should be fine. they should be as sturdy as the power poles or Talons. I'm tired of anchors bouncing around in the locker, and pulling up mud or whatever. two ten lb. anchors is twenty extra lbs. on the boat. about two lbs total for this setup. the poles are 1 3/8th" diameter. other systems use 3/4" fiberglass and no one is having issues with them breaking. this is for a 19' alum. bass boat. I don't anchor much and it's usually in the back waters of the Mississippi river where there is almost no current.

I think I could make one at work, but for the cheap price, I'd rather pay a company for it and give them credit. It looks like an awesome idea, and I will definitely be buying one when I get back in country and my boat is put in the water. I want a power pole badly, but obviously the price point sucks. I agree it is not the best solution for every application, but for the majority of my fishing, it should be perfect. It shouldn't be hard to run some 3/8" bolts through the transom through some kind of aluminum sheet backer, then you probably wouldn't ever have any issues with it coming undone... Awesome...

I know one guy who made one from the transom bracket from an old trolling motor. stuck a pole where the tm shaft would go. looked liked it worked pretty well.

Latest posts