richline transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys i was just wondering how hard it is to replace the wood for the transom on my 14ft richline. I was looking at is last night and i see some rivets on the side i think have to come out to get the wood out. Thanks guys just trying to feel out how much work i have to put in lol.

All I can say without seeing pics is that rivets aren't nearly as bad as they're made out to be. You just have to center punch them, then drill them out. Once you have your new transom in, replace them with stainless steel hardware. Carriage bolts have the same style domed head as rivets, so If you replace the rivets with them and paint them, no one would even know. When you re-install hardware, make sure to use a sealer like 3M 5200 on all of the bolts to prevent any water from finding its way in.

Pics would help, but the above advice is plenty good to give you an idea of what your getting in to. However with out the pics, there may be some unforseen things that we are not seeing. Like if the corner pieces are bolted in or if they are welded in. Also will you have to remove a kicker in the center of the transom. Will you have to remove anything else? Is there a bottom piece to hold the transom in that will have to come out? Again, a couple pics would help, but there are a couple more ideas that you may consider.

thank you guys for all the info i will take some pics and get some on here to show you guys. I think i am going to give it a shot i was also wondering what wood do you use for the transom. Thanks guys

If you've got the resources, Huntinfool has a link in his sig to pour a solid fiberglass transom. THAT would be awesome... Other than that, If you want a transom you ever have to mess with, look at "Rat's" build, also a lot of fiberglass work, but you really can't beat it... If you just use wood, do like Lckstck says and use 2 sheets of exterior grade ply, non pressure treated, glued together, and heavily sealed with some spar urethane. There are plenty of posts on the site to guide you on your way if you search for them...