Any advantage of true flat-bottom over mod-v bow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G Lap

Reaction score
I have owned a flat bottom jon boat that had a slight V shape. It was more pronounced in the front 3rd of the boat, then flattened out more towards the transom. In the rear part of the boat it only has a slight amount of angle. I was always happy with how it rode and fished, but I am curious how a jon boat with a completely flat bottom compares. Once my boat was planed out, only about the back 3rd of the boat was in contact with the water and the hull was pretty flat in that area. I would imagine the slight V in the front may help to move water to the sides when you are on plane and hit a wave.
I am wondering if a completely flat hull from the front to the back of the boat has any advantages over the mod-v bow. I would think that the flat hull might be a little bit more stable while sitting still, but not sure. If any of you have owned both types, maybe you can give some input. Thanks.

The first hull you described is a semi-v.

I'm pretty sure the true flat bottom jon boat hull was designed for the purpose of running in really shallow water. Personally, thats the biggest advantage I see. That and more floor space. I have owned semi-v's and deep v's in the past. Working on my first flat bottom now and havnt had it in the water to tell the differences for myself.

True flat bottoms slap into the waves a bit more than modified V's and true V's cut the wave better than either. The V's also tend to manuever better at low speeds. You will notice, most snub nose true flat bottoms don't have any chine at the transom and handle worse at high speed vs. a mod V or deep V. I think my mod V was about a 1.5" chine across the bottom, true V's are closer to 2-3" at the back.

Jamie

Latest posts