2002 G3 1756 DLX CC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedjj

Reaction score
I am almost ashamed to post this........ Today I lucked out BIG TIME.

Some of you know I have been wanting to build a CC out of a 1648. Well, while I was in Texas watching my daughter graduate from Air Force BMT (Basic Military Training) one of the guys that works for me called me and said that his dad was selling his grandad's boat. He knew I was interested in a center console Jon around 16 feet.

Turns out it is a 2002 G3 1756 DLX Center Console with a 40 HP Yamaha 2 stroke with power tilt and trim. Livewell, nav Lights, 2 batteries, Trolling motor (does not work???), trailer with new rims and tires, and new wiring harness and lights on the trailer. He was asking $3,500. I couldn't believe it! Even though that price is waaay below the value Its against my religion to pay asking price so I offered $3,250.00 and he took it. I cant wait to get started on it.

It does need cleaned up a bit. The carbs need cleaned, plugs changed, lower unit serviced, probably an impeller too. maybe some minor wiring stuff. I couldn't get the bilg pump or the live well pump to click on so I will have to check that out too.

Plans are to Line-X the floors and hydro turf the decks, new seats are definately in order too. I want to Mossy-oak camo clad or wrap the exterior sides. That may have to wait till next year though.

here is what she looks like now.. and one of me and my daughter right after her parade at Lakland AFB in TX.. Its HOT in TX lol

Attachments

• yammy40.jpg
    yammy40.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 4,607
  • g3front.jpg
    g3front.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 4,607
  • g31756.jpg
    g31756.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 4,607
  • kyladadgrad.jpg
    kyladadgrad.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 4,607
yea, you got a real sweet deal, mann.
That motor looks real clean too.

My bro was an air force guy, retired.
I remember he spent some time at Lackland AFB.
Congrats to your daughter.

Good deal. I just bought the same boat 2009 with a ton of extras on it and a 50 for $8k even.[

attachment=0]G3-Boat-011.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• G3-Boat-011.jpg
    G3-Boat-011.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 4,342
Badbagger said:
33 on the GPS

Thats not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that my estimate of 40mph was a lowball. I can do 31mph in the "swamp sled" with a 25hp. If your only getting 33mph with a 50hp Im going to be under 30 with the 40hp. That is not acceptable LOL. Looks like I will be getting a new prop too then.

I was hoping for at least 35mph with the current set up.

I did a little work this weekend on it.

I took out all the crap that was in it, and pressure washed the inside real good. I never knew a boat could hold so much sand and mud and dead shrimp. Removed the gas tank and both batteries and put the batteries on the charger.

The fuel line is the old kind that ethanol eats up and the bulb is busted so a new fuel line will be needed. I am going to replace the 6 gallon tank with a new 12 gallon tank while im at it.

I put the 2 pedestal seats down by the road along with the broken trolling motor and they were gone in 15 min.

I found 2 fire extinguishers and 2 packs of flares and 1 can of deep woods off in a nice little ziploc container too.

The biggest thing I did was to polish the fiberglass console up. It looks good now. Not new but really good compared to what it looked like before the polish. Here is a pic of one side of it half done.

I also got the rims and tires out of the hull. The guy I bought it from put new tires on it but they are only 13 inch rims. Im going to wire wheel these and prime and paint them black to match the ones im putting on my truck.

Attachments

• console1.jpg
    console1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 4,248
  • wheels1.jpg
    wheels1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 4,248
I painted the white rod holder a camo tan color to match the boat. I'll take a pic of that tomorrow when I get it put back together and installed back on the console.

Trying to do anything in that boat with the bare alum black floor in it today in the sun was like working in a frying pan. I really have to do something about that.

Tuff coat is what I originally planned for the floors and decks. But now Im kinda leaning towards carpet or hydro turf on the floor, and tuff coat on the front and rear deck now. Any thoughts?

Styxriver mats may be the way to go...

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190349029566&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

reedjj,

Im going with hydroturf! They sent me a sample and that stuff is amazing! I have some samples of carpet from another company if you would like to see them ill try to find them. Its amazing the plush of this carpet! its like bass boat carpet. Great price too!

Depends what you want to do with your boat. Carpet holds trouble hooks better and dirt also. I dont really like the rough stuff like rhino lining and stuff. It gets hot and i dont wear shoes most of the time in my boat so I dont want it to get hot.

The hydroturf is amazing though! So many different colors and when you want to clean it, you just lift it and rinse. The guy that takes my bowfishing and gator hunting uses hydroturf on the same boat as you. The exact boat and its awesome! Soft on your feet, doesnt get to hot, and cleans when the slim gets all over the place! It was a no brainer that that is what is going in my boat!

You will love the boat. I have an '03 w/ a 90/65 jet on it, and it is very sturdy. I see about 34-35 on the gps, which is plenty fast for the water I am running. That price you got is incredible, enjoy it.

I stopped by the Boat shop N.F.L. Marine Services. Its been there for a week now. Its been done but I havn't really had time to get it. The guy I got it from said that it ran fine but when you ran at WOT it would die out and go to slow rpm for a while then pick back up. I guess this problem is very common on 2 stroke 40hp Yamaha's. Jason at NFL said he sees it alot and that it was most likely dirty carbs. Today when I talked to him he said thats what it was and that it runs like new now. He serviced the lower unit and put itn a new impeller just for general purpose. I could have picked it up today but I decided to leave it there so he can troubleshoot my bilge pump, live well pump, and rear nav light. Niether of the 3 work. Plus Im still waiting on my 12 gallon gas tank to come in.

Should be done tomorrow afternoon though.

On to things I am capable of doing myself.....I got factory rims wire wheeled, cleaned and primed for paint yesterday. here is what they look like now.....
trlrwheelprime.jpg

Im probably going to paint them black to match the wheels I still need to buy for the little truck I got. I took posession of my daughter's truck (2003 S-10 reg cab short bed 4.3 liter). She's at Air Force Tech school now and is going to Guam for 2 years LOL! I got rid of my 08 Civic SI and without that payment and with dropping my daughter off my insurance plus her not living here anymore I have alot more $$$$$ to blow on boat and fun stuff like truck rims and lowering kits exhaust etc..

I still need to get that pic of the rod holder after I painted it posted.

I took off work early to go to Gander mtn to get the Tuff Coat. They sell the same stuff that BP has. just with a different name. Needless to say they didn't have it in stock and the guy they had working in there didn't know what I was talking about. I explained to him that they have it on thier website but It didn't seem to register to him. One other place in town that might carry it. If not i will be ordering it from BPS. I would love to have the hydroturf but from what I can gather its $50.00 for a sheet thats not going to cover very much? I don't want to spend $300 bucks to cover the floor and decks.

susqyg3 said:
You will love the boat. I have an '03 w/ a 90/65 jet on it, and it is very sturdy. I see about 34-35 on the gps, which is plenty fast for the water I am running. That price you got is incredible, enjoy it.

Do you have the regular 1756 with a jet on it? How is it with out the tunnell? Maybe if I blow up the 40 I can get that set up? LOL

Yes I do. I love it. The nice thing about not having a tunnel is the lack of cavitation. I have been in a tunnel boat that cavitated a good bit in choppy water, but I hardly ever see it. I have a 21 gallon fuel tank, so when it's full it weighs the back down when you factor a big four stroke motor and a person or two, but it still planes out quickly and runs great. I rarely have it over half full though, since I rarely run more than 5 miles in a trip. I've had it in the chessepeake a couple times even, and it has handled great. If you do end up getting a jet, get a motor with a pump rating as close to the boat's capacity as possible. My boat is rated for 70hp, but most models came with a 60/40. I hardly feel a difference when you throw in a couple people and gear which is awesome.

Now a few weeks ago I just about ripped my jet foot off at 35mph, so a tunnel would have most likely saved me there, but a little straightening of grapes and filing down the foot fixed that! I don't know exactly how shallow it runs, but I would guess 4-5 inches based on stuff I have run over. The rock I hit was apparantly right under the surface, but in a section with little to know current so I had no idea there was an old bridge piling there.

Here is a picture of my boat..

That is great! Did it come with a jet or did you add it after the fact? I havn't seen one offered with a jet other than the CCJ models with the tunnell. I suppose though you can order it with whatever engine option you want though.

Does your's have a portable gas tank or is it built in? I ask because I am trying to find a 12 gallon that will fit. I only have room for a 6 gallon tank behind the bench? There is plenty of room left over though. BUT not enough for a 12 gallon tank. The attwood 12 gallon is too tall and the one from Gander Mtn fits height wise but its too long to fit between the batteries. I may have to move the batteries under the console if I want to make room for a 12 gallon tank.

I bought the boat used, but the original owner did purchase it with the jet (he ordered it from G3 that way). I haven't seen too many with jets, especially since g3 started making the ccj models. The tank is built in under the rear bench. I don't know if it was a special option at the time, but I haven't seen many others with the 21 gallon tank.

myg3.jpg

I got to take my new boat out today. There was a break in the thundertorms and rain we have been having for a week straight and I got out. It was still raining but I went anyway. All can say is WOW! Stability, speed, tilt/trim, holeshot....All were great.

It was at the shop a little longer than I thought because the wiring/electrical problem was worse than I thought. Rats had eaten all the wiring from the pt where it enters the floor under the console to where it comes out at the transom. All have been replaced except for the tm wires which run fwd instead of back to the transom. I will replace that when I get a TM.

The coolest thing other than the amazing feeling of a big stable boat with all the luxuries was the throttle. When you go from idle to WOT it is one smooth movement with some resistance all the way up to WOT. But on the way down the resistance is less and there are throttle stops. The first one is at about 1/2 throttle it is like a little sticking pt in the throttle it holds the boat on plane at a slow speed GPS right at 17mph. I was able to go from 17mph to 21mph at this setting by messing with the trim. Any more trimmed up and it would start to porpoise. The next stop was at no wake speed.

WOT fully timmed I was able to get 32mph. Any more trim and it would porpoise. Funny thing about that is that the swamp sled goes 31mph its lower and smaller. Going that fast in this bigger more stable boat felt faster than the swamp sled which is the opposite of what you would expect. I was hoping for more near 40mph but I am very happy with the results.

Next step is to tuff coat the floor and install 2 more seat bases behing the console and get 2 good seats.

Latest posts