Speed?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinsMyLife

Reaction score
I'm running a 1519 (model number) Duracraft. 14'8" length, 36" at the bottom.

Pushing it is an '88 30hp Evinrude. Runs like a champ.

Finally got the chance to put the boat on GPS today. According to the "GPS Tool" app for my Blackberry, I was running 23/24 mph with another person and 25/26 with only me.

IMG00222-20110622-1441.jpg

Move the pin up a hole?

Those speeds just seem a little slow.

That's a great motor. I really like mine.
I got 28 mph. It would probably do better
with proper setup, but speed isn't all that important to me.

Here's mine last summer. Enjoy your motor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd5TOTrxFSs

I thought the preffered setting is to put the cavitation plate on the same angle/plane as the bottom of the boat?

Your picture makes it look like the motor is tilted down too much, the angle of the plate doesn't line up with the bottom of the boat. I think you're right to move it up one pin, but I'm just learning this stuff as well.

Yeah, this big motor (compared to a trolling motor :lol: ) business is new to me. Taking it up one hole at a time, I got it running a little quicker. 30 mph is the max I got (two holes up from where it was in the picture). The third hole up led to cavitation.

IMG00223-20110622-1809.jpg

Still seems like it should run a little fatster (30 hp on basically a 1436), but it's getting there for sure.

jasper60103 said:
That's a great motor. I really like mine.
I got 28 mph. It would probably do better
with proper setup, but speed isn't all that important to me.

Here's mine last summer. Enjoy your motor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd5TOTrxFSs

I came across your videos on youtube the other day, should have guessed you were on Tinboats :lol: That's a clean, good looking and running motor for sure.

My 1542 runs 30mph with a 25hp mounted about an inch too low. You should be a little faster than that. A 1436 should fly with that motor....I have never seen a 1436 with more than a 25hp max rating.... Even most 1448's and 1548's are only rated for 25hp.

It looks like you have it set at the right height and angle now.. It looks perfect to me.. What is your pitch on the prop. If its an 11 or 12 its too low of a pitch. Solas makes an aluminum 15 pitch prop for that motor. Im not sure if you can get a 19 pitch or not I didn't see one... You might get up to around 40mph if thats the case. That stainless prop you have looks nice but if its holding you back get a faster prop. You can always keep the stainless prop for when you are loaded with gear and/or a fat fishin buddy.LOL.

But then again...30mph in a 1436 might be all you need. Thats pretty fast!

Yeah, I don't know what the max rating is. This is the motor that the previous owner put on here. It's probably a little too much as the transom needs a little bit of beefing up, but who spends money just to get a smaller motor? :mrgreen:

I'll have to check the pitch tomorrow when I get some light on the boat. I might get a new prop for speed in the deeper lake that I'll hunt and fish up when I'm in school and keep this one (not beat up, but some nicks) for the rocky river I fish at home over the summer.I've been meaning to do the research for understanding props and pitches.

30 is quick, but when I can tweak it to go faster without dropping money (making height/trim adjustments), I want to get all I can out of it :D

I hear ya, I love the idea of a boat thats just a little overpowered. I wouldn't worry about it..... They rate em low for liability anyway. I would have put a 30, 35, or 40 on mine if I knew how to rigg the steering and throttle controls. The guy I got my 25 hp motor from would not sell me the 30hp Evinrude he had. Said he didn't know me well enough.... haha. good luck.

Ahhhh...this setup stuff is driving me crazy too.... I have a 14' boat (with extra supports)....fairly lightweight with a great running 50hp on it and the most I have seen out of it is 24 mph. I replaced the transom and set the motor higher as the cavitation plate was about 6" lower than the bottom of the boat, now it sits just about level with the bottom but at a certain pinhole it will rev up as if in neutral...probably gonna have to drop it down an inch or two. Good luck with your boat man!!!

Tigerhunter said:
...but at a certain pinhole it will rev up as if in neutral...probably gonna have to drop it down an inch or two...
Now keep in mind I'm FAR from knowledgeable on the subject :mrgreen: , but I've been messing with my boat today on the water, and I've been talking to a guy on a local forum that knows his stuff.

Sounds like when it's "revving," it's cavitating-"catching" air.One hole down from that is where you need to be.

This is what the fella on a local forum told me:
Move all weight you can up front and see what she'll do. if it doesnt bounce, trim up some more. if it bounces too much, trim down. if it blows out, lower the motor height, if it isnt close to blowing out, jack the motor up 1/4" at a time till it does, then drop it back down.

reedjj said:
Im not sure if you can get a 19 pitch or not I didn't see one... You might get up to around 40mph if thats the case.

He would have to have a severe over-rev problem to be able to spin a 19" into the recommended wot rpms. I suspect he is in the range now with current prop. A 19 pitch would lug engine, and may even prevent planing, especially with adding people. If it does plane, it will be noticably slower at doing so. Not going to see 40 with this boat/motor with just a prop change, outside of the trailer. ;)

1mph per hp, in these small boats/motors is very respectable. You start focusing on speed tweaks, you will see that there are trade-offs in other areas. If speed is your only goal, OK, but then a small speed boat hull is better to start with.

I am turning a 15 pitch on a 25hp Merc. My boat is a 1542 with wood floors, wood front deck, 2 batteries, cooler, usually me, my ole lady and the dog and it hops up on plane no problem. And it is still screaming at WOT. My cav plate is 1'' below the hull. I cant raise it any more or I would... Unless I have 3 full grown people in the boat it doesn't put any load on the motor at all. Plus I can cruise at low rpm around 25 mph forever. I can go several more miles/1 more hour on a 6 gallon tank of gas than I used to with the 11 pitch prop and it doesn't get up on plane any slower. Its almost as if the boat is so small that it doesn't weigh enough or cause enough drag to really put any strain on the motor what so ever. Unless of course I have more than 2 or 3 200+ people in it. I had 4 total once plus gear and was well over the 750lb limit and it still got up on plane and ran 25mph at WOT.

I figured that with his boat being a foot shorter, 6 inches skinnier, probably considerably lighter, and also having 5 more ponies he would be able to turn a 19 without much trouble at all.

A 15 would probably be the best choice IMHO. I like my boat with a 15 pitch much better than my old prop.
Like I said I don't think you can even get a 19 for a small motor like that, If you could I would probably have one..LOL

FuzzyGrub said:
reedjj said:
Im not sure if you can get a 19 pitch or not I didn't see one... You might get up to around 40mph if thats the case.

You start focusing on speed tweaks, you will see that there are trade-offs in other areas. If speed is your only goal, OK, but then a small speed boat hull is better to start with.

I agree!

If you are going to make drastic pitch changes you better baseline the current set-up. The key item is the wot rpms with normal load, along with gps speed. Then you can go to a number of calculators, with your outboard gear ratios, current prop pitch, see what the current slip is, see how much rpm headroom you have, and play "what ifs".

Otherwise, you will end up with a large prop collection.

A new prop is out of the question, for now. $150 (?) to get me a few mph isn't well spent when it would go a lot further spent on something else.

Latest posts