Best plywood sealer & carpet glue from LHS?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Express

Reaction score
Looking for a good wood sealer and marine carpet adhesive that i can buy from lowes, menards, home depot or fleet farm. Thanks

For the plywood sealer, most people on here have mentioned using spar urethane. You may also want to see if your local LHS carries some type of epoxy resin. As for the carpet glue, there are some that you can order online, but I would think whatever Lowes or whoever you go to their carpet glue would work just as well.

I am a big fan of the Helmsmen Spar Urethane, which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. I would NOT recommend using Lowes brand outdoor carpet glue. I used it in my boat and do not have high hopes of it holding up. It was recommended to me after I finished to try using a contact cement instead.

CONTACT CEMENT IS WHAT IM GONNA USE ON MY NEXT BUILD, BUT I USED THE OUTDOOR STUFF FROM LOWES WITH NO PROBLEMS, BUT THE CONTACT CEMENT WOULD SAVE A LOAD OF TIME

I used some outdoor carpet glue from Lowes on my first jon boat. It was extremely messy but did the job well. After a short time, the carpet became hard as a rock (looked fine, but hard as a rock). I'm now wondering if the problem was the glue being absorbed by the carpet. I'm glad that I didn't retro and use shag carpet :)

On my present build, I will use a different carpet glue and carpet. I'll find out what the manufactures use on their premium bass boats and use something similar. Lots to consider since it's tough to peal the stuff off/prep/clean and redo. Wish ya well on your build. Let us know what you decide... it will help us on our choices.

FlyBye

I used the Henry 663 outdoor carpet glue from Lowe's (and their rubber-backed "marine" carpet) back in Nov. 2007, and haven't had any problems at all. I did my rig in sections. After laying the glue down with an 1/8" notched trowel, I used a wooden rolling pin (from the kitchen) and rolled it across the carpet, working from the center out to the edges, to get any air bubbles out, and also to level any glue globs that might have occured. I was gluing to the factory-painted metal decks and sides. Let the glue cure properly so as to be waterproof (I recall it being 4 days). Whatever adhesive you go with, be sure and have adequate ventilation.

Carpet pics: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=113&page=1&sort=pa

i've done wood in both the fiberglass resin and the spar, by far the spar urethane is much less expensive and far easier to work with vs. the resin. I had 3 coats of spar on a 6' by 4' piece of ply in about 10 minutes per coat, 30 minutes for resin. per reviews, the spar works just as well long term and costs about 1/3rd. same lowes carpet and glue as mentioned previously and completely happy with the results.

Thanks guy. I went to menards and bought a deck sealer with a pigment in it which they said will penetrate better. I cant remember the brand but it is water based and they said it is the best wood sealer they have. Will this work?

I dont have four days to wait for glue to dry so contact cement wins.

So spar is a varnish? Will it be ok to use what i have?

I need to seal my wood tonight. Thanks