Newbie seeking advice on main power sorce.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcruisedudex

Reaction score
Hey all

Let me start off by saying this is my first boat, before this I never even sat in one..so very new to whole wacky world of boating..but loving every minute of it!

I lucked out and came across a 16ft 1986 Monark with the trailer for only 200.00 so couldn't pass it up. It's in great condition (in my opinion at least haha) no leaks or bents and came with the paperwork for both the boat and the trailer.

Now before I sound like I'm bragging, the problem is it didn't come with anything to propel it, also has no wiring done in it, lol. So I'm trying to get ideas on what I can do to get the thing moving in the water on a very very tight budget (maybe 400.00ish dollars to spend) I'm checking craigslist every hour for a motor but fear my luck on getting a great deal has been burnt up on the boat itself.

I don't care how fast it goes, as long as it moves. Where I plane on fishing has some pretty strong currents sometimes so have to keep that in mind though. I've thought about just going with a trolling motor, or maybe 2 of them..but not sure how that would work though. Also even considered doing the lawnmower engine thing, but don't know if that would be strong enough to push it. it's way to big for me to paddle it by myself so that's out of the question.

I'm hoping my only option isn't to be patient and save up 2-3k for a big motor because that would take quite a few months and I have been wanting a boat for about 23 years now, finally have one but can't move it lol

So I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on my situation and guide me to getting into the water as quickly as possible without breaking the bank.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    895.9 KB · Views: 1,035
I am new to this forum but have been in and out of boats and parts my whole life. It looks like you got a pretty good deal. You should make sure the hull is in good shape before putting any money into it. My dad used to say that a boat is a huge hole in the water that you throw money into. In most cases that is right, but being patient and accessing a situation can reduce the amount of money you throw in the hole and maximize your enjoyment.

I don't know where you live but I have seen several boat motors on craigslist in north alabama with all the cables you will need for throttle and steering. They are not $300-400 though. With a seat in the back as I see in your picture it looks like you could put a tiller motor on there. Other than looking silly driving down the river hand controlling a motor as you sit behind your steering wheel, it will work and for alot less. You should be able to find 30-40 hp tiller motors on craigslist for $500-$1000. By the looks of the boat and knowing it is 16ft you will probably need at least a 30hp.

I'm not sure what you know and don't so I will explain some things, A tiller motor is an outboard with a handle you control the throttle and steering by hand as you sit in the back of the boat. What you have on your boat is a console set up. That requires a motor, steering cable assembly, throttle cable assembly, trim, tilt, electric start, ect.

To get you out on the water the fastest and cheapest a tiller motor is what you would find more suitable.

I hope this helps, I am trying to be helpful without overwhelming you with information.
Let me know if you need any further information on any particular subject.

Ben, Thanks a ton for the info..it was helpful..one thing though do I need at the very least a 30hp? or could a 2.5 push it along? or even a trolling motor for that matter.. I don't care how fast it goes or how it looks, I just want to get on the water and fish..the spots for me to fish on the bank are very very limited, unless I drive an hour 1/2 or so away..I live in Louisiana by the way, so far after around 2 months or so of checking craigslist as often as I can I've come across one decent motor that worked (or so the ad says) for $800 and was a 25hp...which I can see being a good deal if it really did work..but just wasn't in my budget.

From the looks of things though it's starting to appear that I might have bit off more then I can chew with this big boat as far as being able to afford anything to propel it =(

under powering that boat will make it a royal pain to fish, be paitent and find a decent motor for it you wont be sorry, that is a heck of a boat and in time youll make it yours, its got the makings of a great boat, if you spent 800-1000 bucks on a motor that runs and compliments the boat well you will be able to get one hell of a return,if the situation presents itself. as stated before make sure the hull dosent leak and is worth putting money into it, patience is never fun esp. when your waiting for money do do things, plus new boat, i know the itch, just take your time.... nice boat and welcome to the site :D

Thanks for the input Bob, An itch is a understatement, it's like my whole body is covered in poison oak lol. Any tips on making sure it doesn't have any leaks? I've looked over the outside of the hull the best that I could and didn't see any holes except for one small one that was from what looked like a screw but was packed with some type of putty stuff.

I'm afraid to put it in the water as I'm not sure how I'm going to get it back onto the trailer without a motor to push it up there, I guess go for a swim and hook the wrench up to it then crank it in? Also how can I keep the live wells from filling up and over flowing into the boat, if that's even possible for them to do that? I'm under the impression I need bilge pumps for them with switches to turn the pumps on and off to prevent that from happening...ignorance is definitely not blissful when it comes to boats =(

hey there nice purchase on the monark!! Fisrst of all let me say i think you got a great deal. I know all about that itch too. Initially before worrying about the motor and details take advantage of it being light and fairly easy to manuvere around in the water by yourself. i would suggest cleaning the interior of the boat out and taking it down to your local launch. you should easily be able to push/float the boat off the trailer and let it sit with you in and out of it and after that paddle pole around and check out the stability of the boat and how it sits in the water with you and or your buddies. :mrgreen: Of course just saying make sure you have the plug in and necessary safety equipment.

MOST LIVE WELLS HAVE VERTICAL STAND OFF TUBE THAT WILL ONLY ALLOW SOO MUCH WATER IN THEM, NOT SURE HOW YOURS ARE SET UP, GET SOME MORE PICS ON HERE TO HELP US HELP YOU A BIT, THESE GUYS ON HERE ARE VERY GOOD WITH ALL SORTS OF BOAT ISSUES, AND ARE VERY EAGER TO HELP, AS FOR LEAK CHECKING CAN DO MANY DIFF THINGS YOU CAN FILL IT WITH WATER IN YOUR YARD AND CHECK IT FOR ANY SEEPAGE IT IT WILL HOLD WATER IT WILL FLOAT :D , I WAS THINKING IM NOT SURE WHERE YOU PLAN TO FISH RIVERS OR SMALL LAKES, BUT A 55 LB THRUST TROLLING MOTOR WOULD PUSH THAT WELL, THAT AND A BATTERY WOULD BE CLOSE TO YOUR BUDGET, IF YOUR GONNA FISH ANYTHING WITH A DECENT CURRENT I WOULD BE LEARY OF THIS SET UP, I USED TO USE A 45 LB TROLLING MOTOR ON A 14' V HULL ALL THE TIME, FOR A ELEC ONLY LAKE HERE, WAS FINE IF YOU WERENT PLANNING ON CHANGING LOCATIONS ALOT, AND IT WAS SLOW REAL SLOW, HOPE THIS HELPS GOOD LUCK

First off WELCOME!

You say you just want to get on the water. But we need some info. Like how far from the boat ramp is you favorite spot? You said you have a spot you want to get to. Is it near the boat ramp? Because it won't do any good to get a trolling motor if you have a mile to get to your spot.
Otherwise you could get a trolling motor and a couple batteries and get on the water. You can put a plug in the livewells and they will not take on any water, but in that type boat they will not overflow.

You should be able to find a few used trolling motors (I would go with two) That will get you on the water. Be aware that even with two say 34 lb thrust electric motors you are gonna creep along at a slow walk. However, you can then use the boat.

Keep your eye out for a used outboard in the 20-30 hp range (you can go a little more, say up to 40)

You might want to consider buying another used boat that has a good motor - sell that hull (or sell your hull) and voila, you are set. Often you can get a complete boat for less then the motor will cost. Additionally, you can then test the motor on the water.

Good luck and welcome to TinBoats

PS Watch out for Popeye and FishingCop, they are bad news incarnate

xcruisedudex,
A 2.5 hp motor would not push that boat much at all. Also you would be spending money that would be better saved to add to the final motor. It would be a bandaid fix you would probably not be happy with. Now if you have a 2.5 hp laying in your garage, heck give it a try. (I think you may have ment to say 25hp, if so disreguard)
You will probably want a trolling motor for your boat eventualy anyway so getting a trolling motor and a battery should get you out on the water. Also if would not be a waste of money because you will use it anyway. If you are in strong currents as mentioned before you will kill a battery fast fighting the current. You should probably look for trolling motors in the 55lb and up range.
I would also get a GOOD anchor. I was fishing last night with a friend and my anchor is horibble, the water in the river was moving faster than I have ever seen and we spent more time adjusting the boat and didn't get much fishing in.
If you put in on a main channel of a river make sure you go upstream, of course once you have tested the boat in shallow water as stated before. Most people don't think about it but if you go upstream and something happens like your battery dies, you will drift back to the launch. If you head downstream you will be in a world of hurt. As you mentioned before you could not paddle this thing, especially upstream.
Also an anchor could aid in a situation where you do lose power or battery, you can chunk it overboard and stop yourself from drifting any further.

If you're just starting out, get the largest trolling motor that you can afford. You won't regret it.

It will be far cheaper than a gas motor and essentially maintenance free. If you travel at slower speeds the range with a trolling motor can be substantial. Carry a second deep cycle battery with you and range will be more than you will ever need for any medium sized lake.

The drawback will be that you will travel at a snail's pace to get where you are going, but, enjoy the fantastic view while you are out on the water crawling along! Don't let the absence of having a gas motor spoil your great intention of owning a boat.

I'm going to be different then most and say I'd rather alittle 2.5hp gas motor then acouple electrics.
By the time you by 2 electrics,probably 2 good batteries and a charger(etc),it will be cheaper to buy a used outboard and gas to make it go.
Your probably going to want an electric to fish with but if I were traveling any distance,even a small outboard will get me there quicker and more efficeintly.
Electrics aren't made to go long distances and wide open,there made for fishing and some shorter wide open runs.
I have a old(87)30hp on a 1652 boat and it's fine,do I want bigger...yup but it doesn't "need"it.
Go on youtube and look up 16' jons boats with different size outboards.Some people can get them to plane nicely with small 15hp's.
I see you said "pretty strong currents",don't go with to small an outboard.If your talking strong running rivers,a small outboard will be just as bad as to big an outboard.
Be safe.

Yes, one caveat to trolling motors: I'd stay away from the strong currents using them as primary propulsion.

You can go a long way with one on a lake, but traveling upstream on a river with a strong current is a different situation. So, as a beginner, I'd get a trolling motor but stick to waters with medium to low current flow, at least until you have more boating experience.

Quite a few post since the last I checked, not sure where to start replying lol, You are all so very helpful and I really do appreciate it.

From what I gather from everybody the best way to get started seems to be to go with a 55lb+ trolling motor since I'll need one of those anyway and then I can just use that to putz along to the fishing spots until I can save up enough for an actual motor.

A few more questions if you guys don't mind. What type of batteries do I need to look for? I know bigger is better, but don't understand the whole voltage thing. From what I read up so far anything above 55lb trust needs more then 12 volts, right? Also I'm the type that spends all day fishing, If I spend the money on bait, gas, ice and all that good stuff I'm not coming home until I can't keep my eyes open anymore.. So will 2 batteries be enough to keep me out on the water being pretty much stationary? (only moving if I have to or fish aren't biting where I am)

Also Ben pointed out an anchor, got me thinking "hey, I need one of those" haha..so I know there's quite a few different variations of anchors and the type you want depends on the type of bottom you're fishing...Well I never been on the bottom of a lake so don't know what's down there. I fish bayous and a public lake, So I'm guessing.. muddy bottoms? and trees?

Again, thanks for all of the great input and help guys..you're all awesome and make me very glad that I stumbled onto this forum.

xcruisedudex said:
From what I gather from everybody the best way to get started seems to be to go with a 55lb+ trolling motor since I'll need one of those anyway and then I can just use that to putz along to the fishing spots until I can save up enough for an actual motor.

A few more questions if you guys don't mind. What type of batteries do I need to look for? I know bigger is better, but don't understand the whole voltage thing. From what I read up so far anything above 55lb trust needs more then 12 volts, right? Also I'm the type that spends all day fishing, If I spend the money on bait, gas, ice and all that good stuff I'm not coming home until I can't keep my eyes open anymore.. So will 2 batteries be enough to keep me out on the water being pretty much stationary? (only moving if I have to or fish aren't biting where I am)

I'd go with the largest trolling motor that takes only 12 volts, to keep it simple. You can have a second battery around if you need it, but trolling motor performance does not scale linearly, i.e. a 110 lb thrust trolling motor will not give you twice the speed of a 55lb (or anything close to that - no trolling motor will get any reasonably sized boat up on plane). As a first step, to just get to stationary spots on a lake to fish, I'd get something around a 55 lb trolling motor that uses a single 12v deep cycle battery.

Sounds like you've hit that nasty wall where you either get a loan or wait. Personally I would not bother with the troller until you have a decent gas engine. Locally there are dozens of sub $2k tin boats for sale since it's warmed up. Also be aware that you'll probably spend more on a 9.9hp or lower engine vs. a 30-50hp. I'm with Ahab, find a crunched or trashed glass boat with a 40-50hp and strip it out. Pay the $50 at the dump to get rid of the carcass and sell the trailer to recoup some money.

Boat are not cheap unles syou are patient enough to find great deals (and summer isn't the time to find great deals unless it's junk.)

What's the backstory on your boat?
Jamie

Ranchero,

I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for a deal on either just a motor or a boat and motor deal, trolling craigslist just about every hour haha.

As for the backstory on the boat, All that I know is that the guy that I bought it from was pretty much in the same spot that I'm in, He bought it for the motor that it had on it but ended up getting screwed by the guy he bought it from.. the motor ended up not working as soon as he put it in the water even after the guy demoed it for him before he bought it. So after running low on cash in the middle of a restore of the boat and needing money for bills he just sold it for the money he needed for his bills for a quick sale, he paid $1700 for the boat and motor, and turned around and sold it for $200, I felt bad for the guy and wanted to offer more money because I know the boat is worth more then $200 but with me being short on cash myself I just couldn't.

I have a 16ft Lowe with a 40hp Yamaha on the back. I have three batteries (one starting, two deep cycle for trolling motor) and a front deck and all the crap I can haul with two guys fishing. I have a 24v Motorguide 62lbs thrust TM and I can troll all day with it. Plus if your not watching out I can dang near throw a guy out when I crank it up on full. It moves my boat so fast that it will throw a wake. I can cross a bay into a chop on a windy day with out even blinking any eye.

What I am trying to get at is, with a good TM and some good batteries you can run almost all day with plenty of power to get too and from where you want to be. I personally went with a 24v to chop through the weeds. MOST 12v systems will not do that. They just do not have the power.

However, a 12v TM with a good deep cycle battery will last a long time too. Especially if you have a spare battery. It just depends on where your fishing. I know on big open water on a windy day I can hardly get a 12v tm to move the boat in chop. Where the 24v moves it with ease. But the 24v is kinda overkill in the back little bayou's that do not get as much wind or chop. So really it depends on where your going to fish.

Try searching for a local website of fishermen. Finding a local website will get you in contact with more people in your area. Also try searching for a local fishing club. Sometimes someone there will have a motor sitting around they would like to get rid of. Also I would check local marinas or boat repair shops. Lastly I would look at placing a want ad in a local paper, you never know when someone real close has exactly what you want.

I USED TO FISH AN ALL ELECTRIC LAKE BY MY HOUSE, I HAD 2 TM'S A 45 LBER, AND A 55 LBER, 2 GOOD BATTERIES,ON A 14' SEMI V, I WOULD EVEN TROLL ALOT AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM, MIND YOU IT WOULDNT BREAK ANY RECORDS BUT IT WOULD GO FAIRLY WELL WITH BOTH CRANKED UP GOING TO A SPOT, AND A LIL FYI ONE OF THOSE LIL JUMPER BOXES THEY SELL AT WALLY WORLD WILL RUN A TM FOR ABOUT 45 MINS, AT WOT, I ALWAYS TAKE MINE WITH ME JUST IN CASE :D

Latest posts