I cannot get the boat to plane out looking for advice..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbgreen

Reaction score
Hello out there I have recently posted a similar question but now i have more information and have tried a few different things and just cannot seem to find the answer.... I have a 14' monark john with all aluminum decking it is a pretty heavy boat with all the aluminum in it now. The boat is rated for a 25 hp motor. weighs around 415lbs empty with a capacity of 465lbs i believe. Now the mercury 9.8 runs great but seems to be plowing no matter what i do i can get the bow up out of the water but the stern seems to be buried in the water and not able to come up and set the bow down to be on plane? i have tried pin hole adjustment i have redistributed loads and removed gear nothing seems to work. motor is fully tuned reliable as ever and running correctly starts great no smoke i am lost... i currently have a 9x9 2 blade propeller any info would greatly be apprecited. also i notice that when i adjust the tilt bracket that the exhaust seems to be louder so i am afraid to run the boat in any other position but the lowest two holes or closest to the transom.. but i do not know much about this so please guide me in the right direction i want to try anything before i go purchase a new prop

check for waterlogged foam weighing it down...that would be my best geuss....my 1240 planes right out with 2 big guys so i dont see why it shouldnt plane...if you need a second set of eyes let me know im just down the street

there is no replacement for displacement.

my 1436 is a light ,stock, 3 bench. with 3 people and fishing gear it plows at about 11mph.

i dont think there is any trick or secret. your boat is heavy and your engine is small.

:LOL2: ha ha i tell people that all the time when it comes to the pickup trucks. Yes i know a bigger engine is probably the ultimate fix but im not out to win any races just want to make sure im doing everything i can and learning as much as i can.west neck 011.jpg

Attachments

• west neck 016.jpg
    west neck 016.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,197
thats a cool truck.
you could see if 93 octane gives you any pep and you might get keep a little weight out by keeping water out of the livewell exept when needed.

My 1430 planes without a problem with two people in the boat and a 9.9 Johnson. Haven't checked speed with gps yet though. You should be able able to plane out.

all 14' flatbottoms are not the same. I could be wrong, but it just seems like that's not enough motor to do anything but plow the boat.

Did you buy the boat as is? Maybe your full of waterlogged foam and wood Like reelrebel18 said.

I would think a 9.8 2 stroke would plane out a 1430, 1436, probably even a 1442! If you have a 1448 I don't think it would do the trick though. It doesn't look like a 1448 in the pic but sometimes pics are decieving.

How much do you weigh? Sorry to say but if you are 250+ that might have something to do with it. You might be able to slap a 15hp carb on your 9.8. That would do the trick. Love the truck!

thank you all for the replies. the boat is a 1442 monark with alot of aluminum decking... alll aluminum no wood anywhere or foam. no i am not a very big guy probably 170 soaking wet with clothes and shoes :LOL2: i did buy the boat as is but was told before hand that i would have a hard time planing the boat with anything in it other than myself. i know the boat is very heavy and it probably just isnt enough motor for the boat but the little mercury runs so well i do not think i would be able to come across a 25-60 hp motor that was in usable condition in my price range. do you all think the little 2 blade 9x9 prop is less than ideal i havent even seen anyone else with a 2 blade

A 2 blade prop is made for speed.
The more blades the better when it comes to getting on plane.