Looking to install a bilge pump in my Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodysgotacuda

Reaction score
I have a 1979 14' Lowe that I can just for-see me plowing a wave with if I get caught up on a windy day. I'd like a way to pitch some water out.

Are you guys adhering the bilge to the bottom of the boat? What type of adhesive?

Bolting through? (drilling more holes sounds like a bad idea!)

Thanks-

My bildge has a plastic holder that holds it in place as low as you mount it. The problem is that it is a cheaply made piece and it broke some time ago. I have to hold my bildge down to the bottom of my boat when there is enough water to pump. My best advise would be to buy a bildge with a holder and mount it out of the way of any obstructions that will break it. Mine was broken by my empty gas tank moving around too much.

I bent a piece of aluminum into an "L" shape and mounted the pump on the bottom and mounted that to the side of a transom support

I have had similiar experiece with bilge pump brackets and even breaking the tabs off of the pump. Most of mine are held in place by the hose. I use a clear smooth plastic hose, not the typical "accordian" style that comes with bilge pump kits. An aluminum bracket sound like a good idea.

I just did this on mine and made a bracket from some flat stock and put it between the transom supports to avoid getting hit with anything

tdXfA.jpg

ryan20021982 said:
I just did this on mine and made a bracket from some flat stock and put it between the transom supports to avoid getting hit with anything

tdXfA.jpg

That is about the same thing I did. I put mine in the corner on the same side as the console as that is where all the water drains when i am driving the boat

I do not suggest gluing it in place as pumps can and will go bad every few years or so

I like that set up there with the bracket very nice! I had a 14' Sears Game Fisher and the pump was attached to the rear bench worked well but that bench was very close the stern.

Latest posts