Bumpers on Aluminum Boats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whistler

Reaction score
How are you fellows rigging bumpers to protect your aluminum boats from a wake or rough water(s) when tied off to another boat or marina. If you hang them overboard they seem are too low to make contact with the offending dock or another boat. I've tried to string them horizontally but that is only marginally effective and some situations not at all!

Tie the bumper to the dock piling or hang it off that rail. Boat to boat there's no good answer unless you are in river current where you can anchor slightly apart.

I was actually thinking about this and the fact that ropes from anchors and dock lines could rub my new paint off and found these was thinking about just putting them down both sides of the boat on the rails.

https://www.iboats.com/Taco-Universalflex-Trim/dm/cart_id.044448577--session_id.513607267--view_id.21602

ryan20021982 said:
I was actually thinking about this and the fact that ropes from anchors and dock lines could rub my new paint off and found these was thinking about just putting them down both sides of the boat on the rails.

https://www.iboats.com/Taco-Universalflex-Trim/dm/cart_id.044448577--session_id.513607267--view_id.21602

Those might work for what you intend to use them for however my concern is or maybe different? The pitching of the jon boats in a large wake is a lot more pronounced than a runabout due to the weight and mine takes a beating. Got to be a way to solve this issue? or at least make it tolerable! I guess I could anchor it out in the lake like you see in some paintings! :) I guess they swim into shore or have a pickup service?

...guess I could anchor it out in the lake like you see in some paintings! I guess they swim into shore or have a pickup service?

Don't know about small rigs (such as a tin rig) being anchored-out, but saw over in the Mediterranean where folks with a bit larger boats (even small sailboats) use a small inflatable dinghy (raft) to get to shore and back again. If they didn't have that, I guess a friend or a water taxi service (rode a few of them and always fun) picked them up and returned them to their anchored rig.

Latest posts