Recommendations needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittymhs

Reaction score
I have to drag my 10' J boat up and down a pretty steep hill at the lake I fish. Its pretty really taking a toll on the bottom. (see pics) I've already had to seal the seams and rivets with Cabela's Aluminum Boat Patch sticks, but I'm really worried that I'm gonna wear threw the ridges. What I'm thinking of doing is adding wooden wear strips just a bit higher between the ridges to take the abuse. Just don't know the best way to attach them so they wont just rip off. I only want to do the section from the back seat to the stearn as thats taking the most wear. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks guys
Smitty

Attachments

• 2011-07-03_12-51-52_208 (Medium).jpg
    2011-07-03_12-51-52_208 (Medium).jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 1,712
Man, I have to think there's got to be a way to make some sort of sled/skid to pull the boat on rather than scuff it all up...let me simmer on this one for a bit.

I shoulda taken a pic of the "launch" I have to deal with. Its all boulders at the waters edge that drops right off to 3'. Thats only because the lake's full. Last year water level was about 2' low and I almost sunk her the angle was so steep. Its the only place we're aloud to launch at. I do have a cart I use to get the boat up and down the incline. And its STEEP! Drags me down the hill pretty fast. I have to lean way back and drag my feet to keep from ending up in the lake. But dragging the boat out is a royal PIA! Have to empty everything out and pull it back up the hill to a spot that I can put the wheels on and push it up the rest of the way. No way around it with out someone else there to help. Two guys can do it easy. But I fish alone.

get a canoe dolly (or make one... out of pvc pipes maybe?)

canoe-trolley.jpg

piroguecart01.jpg

canoecarts.jpg

I have a cart I made. But it doesn't help putting the boat in the water.(see post above) I have to push (or drop) the boat in the water. And pull it out and drag it up a hill. Wheels don't help till it flattens out some getting it up the hill. It has to be dragged.

A ten foot boat, I'd just attach the wheels to the boat and forget about the cart. Call them floatation or stability devices. :?

For the bottom, have you considered just getting some 1.5" angle and glueing to the strakes and corners? A good slathering of RTV or even 5200 should hold them on until they grine down.

It sounds almost like you need a better place to fish.

Jamie

I've thought of just gluing to the strakes (didn't know thats what you called them) but thought that any side sliding on the rocks would rip them off pretty easy. But I guess that would happen even if I put wood between them.
As for a better place to fish. Well there is nothing better. The lake I fish is one of the few designated "lunker lakes" here in Jersey. Part of the reason the fishing's so good IS the launch area. Keeps the big boats out and no tournaments.
Wheels can't be used to launch. The last 10 feet the boat has to be pushed (or really kept from sliding in the lake) and dropped in off the rocks. When you come in you have to unload the boat and drag it up over the boulders and up the hill till it slopes off enough to put the wheels under the boat and drag it the last 400' to the parking area.
It really is a beautiful lake and worth the effort to fish. Just don't want to have to wear out my boat if I don't need to.

Just a thought, but I had a similar situation about 15 years ago, only with a 12' Jon Boat, and I just made a sled out of white Cedar(which is very light and rugged), had the back come up 6" on transom, and put a rope on front. When I got boat in water I would just push boat off to side, and tie off, then would pull sled out of water with rope I had attached. Worked quite well I thought, kept bottom from getting scratched up anyway.

Ok, how about just putting a layer of fiberglass on the outside? Say 1/8"-1/4" thick with one layer of matting in it for added strength. The glass will slide over the rocks easier and keep them from hurting the aluminum and I don't think you'll add much weight doing that. Then you could just use a long rope and skate the hull across the ground.

Jamie

Fiberglas would wear down pretty fast also.

I would look at getting some slick sticks. (or at least that is what we call them) They are the plastic strips that you put on your trailer bunks to make your boat slide off the trailer easier. Those would be perftct on the bottom of your boat. They would allow the boat to slide over the boulders and they can take a lot of abuse.

I agree with huntinfool. Maybe buy you a sheet of UHMW like we use on the bottom of jet boats. It is slick and buoyant. You could recess the bolts and bolt it to the bottom of the boat.

optaylor, That looks like the stuff. It is very durable and slick. I thint this would be the best bet to keep it from wearing down and help in taking it up and down the hill.

UHMW Might be a good wear strip but I think aluminum strips might be better because the boat slides down easy enough. In fact too easy. I have to hold the boat back or she'd launch herself. And pulling her out I have to pull her up on the rocks, reset my feet and inch her up maybe a foot at a time. If I let go she'd slide right back in. So if it was too slick it would be a detriment. I was at Home Depot today after work and they have aluminum strips 3/4"x 1/8". If I drill and tap it every 6" or so and glue it down too it should stay put.
Poor little boat is really taking a beating.

I'd like to thank everyone that offered options and thought you'd like to see what I'm up against. I haven't made the upgrade yet. Still desiding just how to fasten the strips so they don't rip off..
The 2nd shot is about halfway down to the launch. You can kinda tell the angle of the slope. And why I don't have to worry about gettting the boat down. :roll:

Attachments

• 2011-07-09_14-57-55_103 (Medium).jpg
    2011-07-09_14-57-55_103 (Medium).jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 1,483
  • 2011-07-09_15-09-20_859 (Medium).jpg
    2011-07-09_15-09-20_859 (Medium).jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 1,483
Maybe since everyone has to launch from the same spot, everyone can come together and make somethin happen...
Try bringing some plywood down there next time...I'm thinking some sheets running the whole way down there would please everyone...
Wanna make it last? Coat the wood with some type of waterproofer or fiberglass resin (epoxy is waterproof, polyester you may be doing this again in a year or two...Then coat it with some "Gulf Wax"....should be plenty slippery and you could attach all your sheets of plywood with some hinges (face the hinges on the ground side and then your boards will somewhat fold to the shape of the hill...
just some suggestions

I agree, UHMW looks like the solution your looking for.
With all those trees around, would it be possible to use one for
a simple block and tackle for the really tough part?
You're right, that is a beautiful lake.

This is a tranasom dolly. It attaches to the transom of your boat and you push/pull the boat like a wheelbarrow (the boat wil be upside down). Google "transom dolly" and you will find a number of retailers that sell it.

Attachments

• 31KTKWMulNL__SL500_.jpg
    31KTKWMulNL__SL500_.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 838
P.S. - you could also just get a pair of 8 ft 2x4's, cover them with carpet, lay them down on the ground where you "launch" and set your boat on them.

Latest posts