Would a XL shaft motor be a problem in rivers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepenguin99

Reaction score
I am currently in the market for a 15-16' jon boat or possibly an aluminum bass boat. I found a 15' polarkraft with decks, console steering, live well, foot controller trolling motor, and a 25hp xl shaft mercury for what seems like a reasonable price ($1600ish). My main concern is whether the XL shaft motor is going to be a problem in smaller rivers such as the Loosahatchie. This won't be the first boat I have ever operated but will be the first one I have owned.

I am assuming you are refering to a long shaft motor, I would say if it's on short transom it could be done but will be a pain. Being able to run in the shallower waters is part of what makes small jons nice take that away and you just as well have a much larger deeper running boat.

Yea from what reading I did this motor is actually about 5" longer than a the long shaft version of the motor. I probably need to get a measurement on the transom to figure out how deep it would run. The problem is the boat is a couple hours away so I am trying to get as much information as possible before deciding to look at it.

If the boat is exactly what you want but the motor is just too long, if the boats transom is beefy enough, you could always install a jackplate to bring the motor up to where you want it... just a thought.

You'd be better off getting the right length motor.Mounting your XL motor high enough will make your boat top heavy & tipsy. [-X

I have a long shaft motor mounted on a 15" transom. I used a mini jacker to get it up in the air. My jackplate is mounted extra high and while the motor runs great in the position its in...It could be raised at least 1 more inch but there is just no way to do it.

I run in shallow creeks with logs and shallow water. I hit logs and bottom all the time. Most of the time its no problem, the motor just kicks up and on I go. Saturday I completely folded a prop blade flat and bent one of the other ones really bad.

If the motor your talking about is longer than a regular longshaft I would pass on it. My advice is to hold out for the right motor. I wouldn't have bought the one I got but the price was too good to pass up and with the jackplate, controls, console, and installation I couldn't pass up the deal.

If you are going to run shallow rivers and creeks wait for a deal on a short shaft! Or get a jet outboard.

Here is a couple shots of mine. You can see how high the jackplate is mounted and the Cavitation plate still sits about an inch or so below the hull. Thats an inch or so too low!
Middleburg-Clay Hill-20110320-00121.jpg

I need at least 18" of water to idle, and 15 inches to run on plane.

Attachments

• Middleburg-Clay Hill-20110316-00105.jpg
    Middleburg-Clay Hill-20110316-00105.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 468
  • swampsledRNB.jpg
    swampsledRNB.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 468
Thanks guys. I probably should have titled this post "Talk me out of this boat" and it would have been more appropriately named. Job well done. :D

The search continues. It seems like 14' boats are a dime a dozen and people think the 16' ones are made of gold. Shame I actually want to be able to take my buddy and his wife out or I would probably settle for a 14'.

Latest posts