Drain plug leaking...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z0mbie f1sherman

Reaction score
Hey gang

Realized after patching every hole in my hull that I'm gettting water coming in thru the drain hole!

I've got one of those twist and flip plugs (where you turn it repeatedly to tighten, and flip the lever up to finish it off)

I just replaced the plug less than a month ago and still leaking... i'm thinking the hole may be egg shaped or something!

How can i stop this... AND would it be OK to completely seal it off since I have a bilge pump on board?

Bilge pumps fail. If you did take on a bunch of water and the bilge did not work, you could get the motor running and pull the plug and drain the boat. So I personally would not fill in the drain plug. What you could do is take some regular silicone NOT 5200, and put some in the hole and install the plug. This would fill in any small gaps that may be leaking, and allow you to pull the plug. The silicone would stay in the tube and would continue to seal the plug. Just a thought.

Have run into this before, the rubber on those plugs will get hard over time and won't fully expand. I just bought new plug the screw-type and it fixed it for me; hopefully it will work for you. Good Luck! :USA1: 8)

slabdaddy said:
Have run into this before, the rubber on those plugs will get hard over time and won't fully expand. I just bought new plug the screw-type and it fixed it for me; hopefully it will work for you. Good Luck! :USA1: 8)

mine is brand new :(

The drain plug is the only leak I have. It's so little I don't worry about it.

I 8) didn't use the twist and pop plug, I used the t-type, hope this helps!

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The drain plug is the only leak I have. It's so little I don't worry about it.

yes, it is a minor amount... it just makes you crazy when you thought you went over the boat with a fine tooth comb looking for leaks and cracks and yet water still makes an appearance!

Latest posts