New Guy with a Few Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooter brown

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Eric. I have been browsing this forum lately and wanted to sign up. What a great place y'all have here!

I have a couple questions that I hope someone may be able to help me out with. I recently picked up a nice running 1996 Evinrude 30HP long shaft tiller. I'm looking around for a standard jon or MV in the 15-16' range. Is there a general "guesstimation" about hull weight/ HP in relation to speed? I want a welded boat but they are so much heavier than the rivet ones. With a 30HP what would be the max hull weight that would keep me around 22- 25MPH? I'm not going to be adding any decks and will keep gear to a minimum. Just a small fuel tank, 2 batteries, and a trolling motor.

Second question for those who are familiar with the TH Mini Jacker. Is it safe to mount it above the top of the transom? If so how far? My shaft is 20" and I see the Mini Jacker only raises the height 3". I just wanted to keep my options open if I run across a 15" transom hull.

Thanks for the help

Eric

Welcome Eric!

I have a 25 hp 2 stroke on a 1648 .100 all welded modified v, and I get about 23 mph by myself, 20 with 2 people. This is with starting battery, trolling battery, and trolling motor. And about 5 gals of gas. Of course all the tackle as well.

I think your 30 would put you easily in that range, maybe a bit more. Now, with the point about the mini jacker, I think it would probably be okay to use with you motor on a short transom. But you could also look at other options as well, maybe an elevator with a bit of setback or something. I will tell you, if I could go back, I would have went with a 20" transom and got an extension for my 25.

My hull weight is approx 370#.

Hope this helps!
Skidz

Welcome,

I would be looking at a 1648 or 1448 if I was you. I have a 25hp on a longshaft with the mini jacker mounted above the top of the transom like you are talking about. It is sturdy and safe. I have hit logs and sand bars and had the motor kick up more times than I can count with no problems.

You can get the 1648 with a 20" transom so you wont need a minijacker. I don't know if anyone makes a 1448 with a 20"transom.

My boat is a riveted 1542 with a console, floors and front deck and I can get 31 mph with a beat up old 12 pitch (low gear)prop.

If it were me I'd get the 1648 mod-V riveted Alumacraft NCS, or the tracker 1648 grizzly, maybe the new Lowe Frontier. Some of the 1448's come welded too. Most are only rated for 25hp though. But if they don't hassle you where you live then I wouldn't let that stop me from putting a 30 on it.

You can check it out here. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299&hilit=swamp+sled

Thanks for the quick help guys!

Reed, thanks for the link to your build thread. The Alumcraft 1542 is exactly what has me thinking more and more. We have an Academy Sports here in Augusta, GA and they are selling the 1542 for $997. I was dead set on finding a 1658MT Lowe big jon or a "lite" welded hull. You can't beat $997 and it should fly with the 30HP and little to no additional weight. I went to Academy and looked at the 1542 today and it seems very solid.

Eric