How do I clean it up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northcoast

Reaction score
Just bought a 1988 18ft Crestliner aluminum Boat. Both sides of the boat are marked up where the "Blue" on the sides of the boat is (It looks like vinyl stripes... not paint). How do I remove the vinyl? Also the Bottom is VERY stained. The boat was docked in a fresh water lake every summer. Not trailered. I will probably look into painting it over the winter, but would at least like to get it as clean as possible for this summer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

Try a heat gun and dull straight edge to lift off the vinyl stripes.

Perhaps automotive wheel cleaner for the pond scum removal? Look for a chemical which contains hydrofluoric acid. Test on a small area first and be careful to neutralize all areas with soapy water when your done. Wear chemical resistant gloves. Hydrofluoric acid might "whiten" the aluminum.

I've never actually ever tried this type of cleanup. I just used to mess around with acids. I am, by no means, suggesting you try this. Just bouncing around an idea. Perhaps someone else can chime in as to whether this is a good idea or not before you play guinea pig at the suggestion of some anonymous poster.

Heat gun and rubber scraper for the decals. Follow that with some wd-40 to remove the glue.

The aluminum can be hit with this stuff after a de-greaser and powerwash: https://www.sharkhide.com/

Never used it but heard great things.

i just cleaned my hull and transom, i used stainless steel cleaner and light steel wool. worked great but took a little time,(3-4hrs) 16 ft boat.....

Latest posts