Thoughts on this boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepenguin99

Reaction score
https://memphis.craigslist.org/boa/2479224020.html

I have been looking at this guys ad for a while. He has had the boat posted for probably a month or more so I know the price isn't great but this is the first ad where it looks like he might be willing to deal. Just looking for thoughts on the price or boat in general.

It would be close on the price around here with that motor

Talk to um, you can usually tell wether somebody is trying to get rid of their junk or firm because they know they have a well oiled machine

Penguin

I've been eyeing that boat for awhile, saw a new ad this morning where he needs it gone by tomorrow. Boat looks great, nice wide bottom at 52" and the forty HP should really move that thing. Price sounds good ($2000 or so), just cant tell from the pictures how beat up the boat is, looks like there is a big dent at the nose from running into the bow stop.

Show the cash and get it wet. Find out the vices before paying for it, been there and paid the price for not getting it wet...

Talked to the guy on the phone. 2k seems like his bottom line on the boat and afaik he has no plans to actually run it in the water. Just start it in a tank or something. As I suspected from the pics he has been in the boat business but is getting out of it.

Penguin

Not sure if this is the same guy, but I've read other posts on CL warning to stay clear of the guy in dyersburg. Usually it's just a motor for sale though. Nice boat though, not a bad deal for 2K if the motor is in good shape.

Go look at it, the only way to tell. Run that motor until he tells you to stop. Inspect seams, look at the ribs for cracks, turn the steering, etc. Do everything you can if he won't get it wet. There's not much to inspect on the smaller boats, which is why they are great :mrgreen:

But if you get a bad vibe, just walk away. He may intimate that his bottom line is 2k, but if you walk away at 1800 he may come down.

I may go look at it tomorrow. Trying to decide whether to go look at this boat or wait till Saturday. I found another boat, a lowe 16ft w/40hp evinrude long shaft and console steering that I was planning on looking at Saturday for $1200. It is supposed to have a fuel issue to where you have to stick a rag with gas over the carb to get it to start if hasn't been running. I am pretty sure I could figure that out since I have some knowledge on engines in general even though I know boat motors are a bit different. The long shaft is a bit of an issue for what I want to use it for but from what the guy said the transom on this 16ft is pretty tall so the motor doesn't sit low in the water.

EDIT: Also the Lowe 16ft is at a 100 acre lake that I can try it out on, another plus.

Older narrow boat, ancient troller, wood and insulation probably water soaked and needs replaced. Price is decent, just a shame it isn't at least 48" wide.

As before, show cash and go splash. If they won't splash it run away, they know it has problems...

yea it not being 48" wide is definitely a bummer. That said the owner is never going to sell his boat if he doesn't learn to communicate with potential buyers. No phone number. I sent an email with my number and instead of calling he answers one question out of my email in a reply and doesn't give me his number.

Latest posts