Quick Question on Paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyFisher

Reaction score
So I'm starting to begin work on my 12" aluminum boat. Gutted it and I'm ready to paint. I'm doing the conversion based of the Hydrilla Gorilla book (don't know if any of you have heard of it). But anyways it states to always use a good quality paint specifically for aluminum. I've gone to a local boat store, marina and Lowe's with no success in finding any aluminum specific paint. Boat sotre and marina don;t carry it in stock, you gotta order it. Is that what I should do... I was think about Rustoleum Paint, but something just didn't seem right. So what should I do? I feel like ordering it is the best way, can anyone recommend a brand of paint specifically for aluminum? Thanks

JerseyFisher said:
So I'm starting to begin work on my 12" aluminum boat. Gutted it and I'm ready to paint. I'm doing the conversion based of the Hydrilla Gorilla book (don't know if any of you have heard of it). But anyways it states to always use a good quality paint specifically for aluminum. I've gone to a local boat store, marina and Lowe's with no success in finding any aluminum specific paint. Boat sotre and marina don;t carry it in stock, you gotta order it. Is that what I should do... I was think about Rustoleum Paint, but something just didn't seem right. So what should I do? I feel like ordering it is the best way, can anyone recommend a brand of paint specifically for aluminum? Thanks

Don't paint right on the aluminum. You need a primer first, such as a self etching primer or zinc chromate. THe self etching is available at like a NAPA whereas the chromate is definitely at your West Marine type places. Then apply your topside paint. I've used both Interlux Brightside and Pettit EasyPozy with great results. If you have a smooth surface and wet sand in between coats, you can achieve some professional results (roll and tip works well, google that method). This is an abridge way of saying, you don't need to buy crazy paint, the marine topside is already expensive enough and perfectly suitable for your purposes. Search this site, and I'm sure others will chime in.

most importantly dont use rustoleum youll be sorry it looks good for about 2 yrs the lets go, i played hell getting it out of my boat, i havent painted the outside yet, i coated he inside with tuff coat and im real happy with that so far

I applied Interlux underwater primer on the outside of my hull and Interlux top side paint over the primer. I used the same underwater primer on the inside of the hull with Rustoleum paint over it. I used rollers and brushes to apply the paints. I left the rub rails bare as I figured they will be getting scratched by feet and the docks anyway, and just ground down the finish.

It is good enough to be a 25 foot paint job as this will be a fishing boat, not a trailer queen. First dunking is tomorrow at a local lake!

Latest posts