Zinc Bolts...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonman

Reaction score
Hey guys Im new here and been looking over the site for a week now. I found the site while i was looking up picks of boats. I bought a 16' PolarKraft 42" wide. It has a 25 Hp Mariner on it. Picked it up last week. On the maiden voyage we took alot of water on due to the transome being shot. I have started to rebuild it with all the great info on here, But alas I have a question. I know Steel bolts will corrode the aluminum but what about Zink? Anybody tried it? Any knowen problems? I found the Zink Hardware much cheaper than the SS stuff. And I could not find 3M 5200. So i bought a tube of 100% silicone by liquid nail. Will it work? I have not put things together yet so I can "undo" if I have to. Any Tips will be appreciated. Thanks.

The Zinc bolts you are referring to are zinc coated steel. The zinc is a somewhat rust resistant coating but they will rust and are probably unsuitable for a marine enviroment. Also, stainless bolts will cause aluminum touching them to corrode so they probably aren't the best for anything touching the hull.

Stainless is the way to go - I have had some in the boat since 1972 and so far no reaction with the hull

DO NOT USE ZINC - you will have big problems with galvanic reaction and rust

Ok Guys, thanks for the info. Looks like I will be taking the Zinc stuff back tomorrow, and picking up some Stainless Steel hardware. I used standard 3/4" Plywood,built up to 1-1/4"(had to plain off 1/4"), secured together, and coated with polyurathane I had in the garage. I know I should have used spar urathane, But the wife is into me about the cost of this Boat Thing lol. I figure it should last a few years with a little maintanace. The original transom was still in place from the factory and the boat was built in 73'.

Here is a nice explanation of Galvanic corrosion in boats:

https://www.skippersschool.com.au/docs/boat%20tips-04.pdf

In the text he mentions the "Galvanic Series". It is a useful tool for selecting materials to be used in your boat building projects. You can find a version with practical application to boat building here:

https://www.corrosionist.com/Galvanic_Series_of_Metal_in_Seawater.htm