Homemade boat lift

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
Ok, so this might sound crazy, but I want to make a homemade boat lift. I keep my boat (which is very small) in a very choppy lake all summer long. I think it would be nice to have it up out of the water. I want to create something like the one pictured below, using aluminum and wood. Does anyone think that this is possible?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqQOKi!E3i,OMRFJBODy6PLqZg~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqQOKi!E3i,OMRFJBODy6PLqZg~~_3.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 2,423
Not only possible, but easy. Obviously it would take time and money, but you can pretty much make out exactly what you need to do from just that pic. Just a bunch of aluminum angle, a boat winch pulley, some 2X4's, and SS hardware. Figuring out how to mount it in the lake will probably be the hardest part.

SVOMike86 said:
Not only possible, but easy. Obviously it would take time and money, but you can pretty much make out exactly what you need to do from just that pic. Just a bunch of aluminum angle, a boat winch pulley, some 2X4's, and SS hardware. Figuring out how to mount it in the lake will probably be the hardest part.
Thanks for the encouragement! My only concern is the wood warping after some use. An all metal build will be difficult but might be the better choice in the long run.

Would it be simpler to do a slide ramp to the shore or a rope and pulley davit system from the dockside? I just think if the water is choppy that it will be hard on your lift. They also have the ride on docks for boats and jet skis but they are expensive for what you end up with.

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Would it be simpler to do a slide ramp to the shore or a rope and pulley davit system from the dockside? I just think if the water is choppy that it will be hard on your lift. They also have the ride on docks for boats and jet skis but they are expensive for what you end up with.

Jamie
I agree, that is my only concern. I decided that I am going to go with this type of lift. As long as I make it sturdy I think I will be ok. I am using heavy duty hinges, 2 pulleys and a 1200 pound capacity winch.

If you are worried about wood warping, just use something else. 2 options: Ultimate bunk board, or that synthetic decking material they sell at home depot. Looks like wood, but made out of some kind of plastic. That stuff will be cheaper than the ultimate bunk boards, but maybe not as nice...

SVOMike86 said:
If you are worried about wood warping, just use something else. 2 options: Ultimate bunk board, or that synthetic decking material they sell at home depot. Looks like wood, but made out of some kind of plastic. That stuff will be cheaper than the ultimate bunk boards, but maybe not as nice...
That synthetic decking compoite is garbage. I had a deck put on with that stuff and it costs 15 grand. It warped very badly ad there is a class action law suite agist some of the companies now. Oh btw it is 3x the price of pressure treated wood.

Dang, that sucks. Check out UltimateBunkBoard.com. Pretty sure you can get a set of bunks for like 60-70, but they shouldnt warp.

Latest posts