I'm New and know nothing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntley87

Reaction score
This site is so interesting and i'm glad i'm apart of it now. it has inspired me to do something about my boat.
i have a 16 foot alumacraft that i was given to by my grandpa. I've used it for the last 3 years and now am wanting to modify it some. first off i was wondering if i could remove some of the bench seats without risking structural damage and how would i remove them without messing with the rivits. i'm mostly wondering if its worth it or not cause i'm sick of having a sore back and sore feet after a day of fishing.
Thanks in advance for all that take the time to respond

Attachments

• DSC_0082 (800x536).jpg
    DSC_0082 (800x536).jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC_0086 (800x536).jpg
    DSC_0086 (800x536).jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 518
First off :WELCOME: ! You have a nice fishing rig there. You can take out a bench seat with out damaging the structure of the hull, it depends if it is worth it to you considering what type of fishing you like to do. If you prefer to sit down they you can just add some 7" or 13" seat bases and swivel seats to the benches. But, if you like to stand and have an open boat, then taking out a seat and installing floors would be a good idea.

I would remove the center bench. That would still leave the rear bench and the front two for support.

You could deck it out from the front little seat to the second bench, and install live well/storage/batteries under the deck, and a pedestal seat on top. You would have all the open space between the rear bench and the deck for open floor space to do whatever you wanted.

I would put a side console on it and install a driver and passenger seat just fwd of the rear bench with a cooler between the seats. Then deck from the rear bench on back the transom with a hinged lid to acess the gas tank and bilge pump.

Just like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9dLJu-uXM&feature=related

But thats me.

Or you could do a tiller version like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmFkjl-Yzjw&feature=related

Oh yea, welcome! Nice boat too! Endless possibilites with that. You can do whatever you want. That is what is so great about this site, you can build a custom boat that has everything the factory rigs do for a fraction of the price and its something you can be proud of because you did it yourself.

Welcome to Tinboats!!

Thats a sweet little rig you got there. I wish my project was even half that nice when I started!! I love it!!

Thanks for all the responses, I'm leaning towards taking out atleast one bench but I'm not exactly sure how and because it riveted my father has concerns about holes and whatnot. He said i can do whatever on my own but has concerns about the rivets. is this going to be a problem or should i do it anyways.
I plan on putting a bow mount trolling motor and a raised deck in front and a raised deck like reedjj stated. i'll post a pic of a rough sketch i drew up today
once again thanks for all that responded i need the help haha

Here is a rough sktch nothing is set in stone or drawn to scale. just a image for everyone to go by

Attachments

• Boat Layout.png
    Boat Layout.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 445
Awesome boat man. Ok, so first off, rivets aren't bad. Just center punch the domed head of the rivet, then drill it out. When you have all the rivets for the seat drilled out, take out the seat. You can either put solid rivets back in the holes, or get stainless steel hardware. You can use a carriage bolt (it has a domed head just like a rivet), put them in from the outside in, and you wont even be able to tell they arent rivets. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's when you get your hardware and look in the glue and epoxy section (normally in the paint department). Get a tube of 3M 5200 Marine sealant. Awesome stuff, it takes a while to dry, but when it dries, nothing gets thru. Put that on the threads of the bolt (if you decide to use bolts), or the shank of the rivet, and you shouldnt have any leaks. Hope this helps.