1642 vs. 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpoulin

Reaction score
I found a listing on Craigslist for a 1642 boat, I've been searching for a 1648 due to my size(330# 6'2"), and added stability. But it seems 16' jon boats aren't that popular around Atlanta. So when this 1642 came up, it has me wondering how much stability will I be sacrificing? Is it worth it to just buy the one that comes up or hold out for a wider boat? Thanks for any input!

I have a 60" wide bottom boat and fishing this morning with my buddy I made the comment that maybe I should have gotten the 6 foot wide model. I'd hold out for the wider one if it was me. I'm bigger than you though. Last year I fished out of a narrow 14 footer and I told myself never again, too tippy.

I don't know why, but used 18' jon's are just non-existent in GA. And if I found one, I'm doubting it would be in my budget seeing as 14' goes for 200-400, and the 16' goes for 800-1000. If I could find an 18' It'll probably be out of my budget. As it is, 2 months of searching and I only found 2, 16 footers, both are 42" wide.

bpoulin said:
I don't know why, but used 18' jon's are just non-existent in GA. And if I found one, I'm doubting it would be in my budget seeing as 14' goes for 200-400, and the 16' goes for 800-1000. If I could find an 18' It'll probably be out of my budget. As it is, 2 months of searching and I only found 2, 16 footers, both are 42" wide.

I am having the identical issue and I am from Georgia as well. I am looking for a nice river boat and would like something in the 16 to 18 feet long and 50+ inches wide but such a boat seems to be non existent in this state even with a 5k dollar budget.

I have an 1848 and I would do anything to have something wider. hold out and find the perfect boat for you. It will be more stable and help you get on plain faster.

Problem is that the 1648s are the popular thing. Nobody wants to sell them! I have the same problem here. I really want one, and there's either never one for sale, or the ones that do pop up every now and then are really new with new motors, etc and a really big price tag.

I'm starting to think that I'll just have to hold out till next year and buy a new one with my tax refund... if the wife will let me.

Aaron Lariscy said:
I am having the identical issue and I am from Georgia as well. I am looking for a nice river boat and would like something in the 16 to 18 feet long and 50+ inches wide but such a boat seems to be non existent in this state even with a 5k dollar budget.

With that budget you can buy a new 1860 from Bass Pro! Go look at their boats, the 2011 models Grizzly 1860 jon. That combined with a few used accessories and you can be up and running for less than 5K. What part of GA are you in? I'm on the east side of ATL PM me I might could help you out.

bpoulin said:
Aaron Lariscy said:

With that budget you can buy a new 1860 from Bass Pro! Go look at their boats, the 2011 models Grizzly 1860 jon. That combined with a few used accessories and you can be up and running for less than 5K. What part of GA are you in? I'm on the east side of ATL PM me I might could help you out.

I don't think so I might could buy a brand new hull but I am looking for something ready to roll spending all of my budget on a hull is out of the question. I am located in Augusta GA, I found a couple of welded tins in the Macon craigslist and even one 16 foot jet boat for 4k. I am holding out right now for fall to roll around and see what the prices do and what turns up. I personally don't think the wide tins are so popular they don't come up for sale in this area I don't think they exist at all because I never see them at all in the river or lake.

You prodded me to do some looking and I can get a 1756 with console and trailer for right at 5k then I would have to find a suitable motor for cheap and Im not sure how easy it would be to find a suitable power source. Im not much on 4 strokes and would really like to have a 2 stoke jonnyrude. But still it is a direction if I cant find anything I like otherwise...

I know where there is a 35hp Johnson for $450 in Covington, GA, I don't have any more details than that, but I can inquire if you're interested.