bass tracker deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrtib

Reaction score
I just got a 17' 87 bass tracker and pretty much got it gutted out. My question is, would it be possible to take out the front and back decks or lower them with out causing any structural problems. I plan on using for pan fishing and would like to be sitting lower and not up on the decks. Thanks for any help.

jrtib said:
I just got a 17' 87 bass tracker and pretty much got it gutted out. My question is, would it be possible to take out the front and back decks or lower them with out causing any structural problems. I plan on using for pan fishing and would like to be sitting lower and not up on the decks. Thanks for any help.

With the right materials, tools, and skill ... anything is possible.

If I were going to attempt this, I would take out all of the existing bracing and structure ... gut it to a completely bare shell. Then weld in new bracing and supports but at a lower height. I'd also extend the front deck back a few feet.

But, if you are going to go to all that trouble, maybe selling it and buying a boat with a different layout is a better option.

I agree with extending the front deck.

I have a 90 model 17 Pro and the deck stops about 18" short of the front of the console. The newer models have the front deck extended all the way back to the console and that allows rod storage under the center of the front deck for rods up to 7' long.

Dropping the decks a couple of inches would not be a structural issue as long as they are built properly.

If you plan on keeping the boat for a while I would recommend using aluminum decking instead of wood and either carpet over the aluminum or Line-X it. It will cost a little more up front but you will shave some weight from the boat and it will NEVER rot.

I would also drop in a battery box in that front deck for the trolling motor.