New guy with a new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole

Reaction score
Well after the last few years without a boat. We decided to buy a canoe a couple weeks ago. When we were out on the water, the wife and I both decided we don't really like to paddle all that much whith the kid and dogs along not helping. That led to the purchase of this nice little 1436 boat. We shopped around for 3 weeks for the best prices on everything, had to drive a few hours to get some of it. First was the boat it self then the motor, finally the trailer tied everything together. It's all brand new and that is what I was looking for, wanted the warranty and not having to hassle with used equipment.

1436 fisher
shorelander galvanized trailer
nissan 8hp

2011-07-09092818.jpg

Yesterday was our maiden voyage and it went spectacular. Put in at ellis harbor motor started first pull eased off the trailer well. Pulled over to the public dock, relized there are no cleats to tie off with just the handles at each end of the boat. This was a little bit of a pain to reach over the edge. Praked the truck and got all three of us in the boat. We motored our way all the way up past the chain lakes ramp. Stopping along the way for a swim and lunch at some nice sand bars.

A couple of our friends were out on a boat tubing and having a blast. Everybody was friendly and waived on the water. After about 6 hours of fun in the sun we decided to head back. On the ride back to the ramp we commented on how burnt we has become in the short amount of time on the water. Even with spf 50 sunscreen on we were all shades of red lobster.

Coming back from Edgwood road bridge to ellis harbor was a little on the rough side. All the big boats out making waves larger than our little one. I stuck closer to shore than normal but everything was ok in the end just couldn't go wide open.

Cole

beachboat.jpg

Welcome aboard...glad to have you here. Looks like a real nice boat Cole.... Many hours and many years of good times will be had.... As a skin cancer survivor, I beg you to continue to use your sunscreen... apply it more than once and espically if you get in the water... for me its about once every hour and sometimes more often. And you should see my wide brim hat....or maybe you shouldn't
peace

Welcome to TinBoats!!

Nice little rig you got there. Sure cant beat that new boat smell, huh!! You planing any mods? Post pics if you do anything.

One thing I noticed is that roller on the bow stop. What is keeping the boat from jumping up on that thing when you hit a bump and ramming into your winch? Its hard to see how its tied down in the back. Personally, Id want a nice flat, secure bow stop to be sure that thing cant move.

Welcome neighbor. I mostly stick to macbride, wapsi and palo with my little boat the cedar makes me nervous.

freetofish said:
Welcome aboard...glad to have you here. Looks like a real nice boat Cole.... Many hours and many years of good times will be had.... As a skin cancer survivor, I beg you to continue to use your sunscreen... apply it more than once and espically if you get in the water... for me its about once every hour and sometimes more often. And you should see my wide brim hat....or maybe you shouldn't
peace
Thanks
Sorry to here about the cancer and thanks for the concerne.

BassBlaster said:
Welcome to TinBoats!!

Nice little rig you got there. Sure cant beat that new boat smell, huh!! You planing any mods? Post pics if you do anything.

One thing I noticed is that roller on the bow stop. What is keeping the boat from jumping up on that thing when you hit a bump and ramming into your winch? Its hard to see how its tied down in the back. Personally, Id want a nice flat, secure bow stop to be sure that thing cant move.

Thanks
That is how the dealer set it up. When I got back from that first time out yesterday I changed it around so the roller is on top of the handle. So just as you said it can't jump over top in an accident. The rear isn't strapped in the picture, but there are two transome straps going down to the trailer from each rear handle.

That is how I actually found this site was looking for ideas on the bow bumper as I have never had a flat bottom boat before only fiberglass v's.

jixer said:
Welcome neighbor. I mostly stick to macbride, wapsi and palo with my little boat the cedar makes me nervous.

Hello Jixer I use to fish macbride all the time but the last two years haven't produced the size of fish. Just a lot of little ones. Only ever fished palo a hand full of times. I live a mile from the cedar so it's where I normally go.

Cole

Latest posts