1975 1437 1/2? Looking for ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac3569

Reaction score
Just picked up a boat last weekend. Not sure of the manufacturer but the model looks to say "bateail 14". It's is suprisingly enough 14 feet long, 37 1/2 across the bottom of the boat, at the transom, and 58 across the top.

This was a boat my grandfather bought in 1975 along with a 1975 Johnson outboard that is still as clean as a pin but needs to have the carb cleaned, etc. It seems to be in really solid shape structurally but needs some serious cleaning and painting before I start to deck it in. I have removed the rotten wood from the transom as you can see in the last pic and replaced the trolling motor mount wood in the front.

The seats will acutually adjust (slide forward and back, and tighten down from the top with a flathead screwdriver) so that gives me some flexibility as far as deck size, etc. I am looking for ideas since I am just getting started with the project and I am open to suggestions. Mainly looking for ideas for where to put the bench seats to maximize the layout, but any ideas are welcome. Also has anyone replaced the wood in the transom without removing the perpendicular brace? I would like to avoid drilling out the rivets in the bottom of the boat if possible. I would like to replace the old wood with a solid piece of 2x12 if possbile. My grandfather ran the 25 hp on this boat for 25 years with no issues. I know similar boats this size are now limited to 15 hp, but I have not seen one built exactly like this one either.

Also, if anyone has any idea of the manufacturer I would be interested to hear it.

Sorry for the quality of a couple of the pics, I will try to get some better ones soon.

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 811
  • bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 811
  • 0704111623.jpg
    0704111623.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 811
What are you looking to use the bot for?

I have a 30 on my 1436, which I'm sure would be overpowered (it doesn't have the rating plate anymore), and I know plenty of people running 25's on theirs. You should be fine.

As far as the transom goes, I think what most people are doing is removing the top corner braces. If they are welded on, they're cutting through the welds with a sawzall or cutoff wheel. Also, it would probably be better to use plywood for the transom, using 2 pieces glued together, covered with either spar urethane, or epoxy resin. Solid wood warps too much. Theres tons of threads you can search about this. I think also when the guys are done, they are having the corner braces welded back in. I keep saying "the guys" because I'm too afraid to do mine :lol:

I will just be using it for a bass fishing rig, I plan to deck it in, not sure yet to what extent. As far as thr transom goes, I can see how one would cut off those upper corner braces, seems like it would be easier to just remove the perpendicular brace though. (which im also trying to avoid, ha ha) I saw one post where a guy replaced the rivets in the brace (in the bottom of the boat) with panhead bolts and JB weld, thoughts? As you can tell I'm dodging the rivet gun.

Markt,

You are correct. I was looking at whats left of the panel today and that matches with the letters that are still visible. It also has west point, MS on there.

Got ansy about the light rust on the transom and sanded, etched and painted it over the past two days. Not sure about the color yet but I can always paint over later. No more rust though!

Attachments

• transom2.jpg
    transom2.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 720
Have the same boat :) 25hp was what the previous owner was running said it was crazy powerful but most I see on this site have extensive decking/features wich must add enough mass to make it all even out.

Search for fisher marine and you will see many examples for ideas.
I have not got into the transom yet, but seems like you could just flex the support out of the way to slide in the new board. I think there is about 2+ inches of clearance from the bottom of the transom board to the bottom of the boat on mine. Do not want to drill out and replace either. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14235

Will be following to see how it turns out for you! The sliding seats and the track makes for many options for the MOD!!

Cool feature with a sliding bench seat. I hadn't heard/seen one of those before.

I'll second the plywood for the transom. A 2x12 will split over time.

Before putting in decks, you might want to test stability (after transom fixed). Hang the motor and move the bench to where you want and stand on it in the center. Slowly shift weight to sides and see how stable it is at the height. If it feels very unstable, might want to make the decks lower than the bench top.

Thanks for the advice on the transom. Mine also has the 2" gap between the bottom of the board and the bottom of the boat. I think I can probably bend the support out of the way enough to get plywood in. Not much experience with rivets so I wasn't sure if bending that thing around would loosen the rivets any?

As far as stability I remember fishing this boat years ago and as long as the 25 was in the water it was stable enough that i could stand on the bench in the bow and fish. If you pulled the motor up it would get a little shakey. But that was just me fishing by myself. I wouldnt try that with someone else in the boat. But I would be open to lowering the deck, just not sure how I would transition from the deck to the bench seat?

Hyzerbomber, like your boat! I will be following yours also

Got the seats out today and I'm starting to take off the side panels and paint them. Will probably try to paint the exterior this weekend.

Attachments

• 18 jul 11c.jpg
    18 jul 11c.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 646
In that last pic you can see those braces that are on an angle (they attach the sidewall braces to the bottom ones) Any ideas on taking out that middle brace on one side and maybe adding something more "low profile" so I can have a rod holder down the side of the boat?

You can see the brace in this pic better. Doesn't look like it is supporting too much. Do you think I could take the middle one out on one side and put the rod holder down the side?

Attachments

• 19 Jul b.jpg
    19 Jul b.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 627
i'd put those braces back , it needs all the support it can get to stop the sides from flopin '. most boats ribs continue up the side every rib . that has one everyother rib . i agree it looks like a fisher marine

Yeah, I see what you are saying about every other brace extending up. Alot of the boats don't have the perpendicular braces though right? (ones running from front to back)

I definately plan on putting the braces back, I have it broken down now for cleaning and to replace the self tapping screws in the braces. Some were rusted in half. I was thinking about leaving one brace out in the middle. maybe there is a way I can modify it to take up less space. Or I can just have less room for the rods, not a big deal.

Latest posts