Jack Plate help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanielrthomas

Reaction score
So I installed a Bobs Mini jack plate on my 1448, using the holes that were already there from a previous project. I thought I would give these a try since I would not have to drill any more holes in my transom. Anyway, the end results kinda worries me. The setback is just over 6" and the cavitation plate sits 2.5" above the bottom of the boat. Does this sound normal? I can raise the motor up more, but I cannot lower it past the 2.5" until I drill out some new holes in the jack plate.

Ive heard that you can raise your motor up 1/2" for every inch of setback, and if this is true, Im right on the money.

I can also decrease the setback, if needed, to 4-5", But Id prefer to leave it where its at. The purpose of the setback was to get the tiller handle away from the seat(it was making contact). Thanks guys.

Basically, what Im asking is, is the motor up too high?

Attachments

• 1992.JPG
    1992.JPG
    844.7 KB · Views: 382
2.5" does sound a bit high, but the only way to find out is to take it out on the water. My cav plate sits about 1.5" above the bottom of my boat (I have a 4 inch set-back) and I don't think I would go any higher than that. With a 6" set-back you might be right on the money.

The rule of thumb for increasing motor height above the recommended mounting location is 1 inch of height increase for every 12 inches of setback.

That being said, it is a rule of thumb.

Put your boat in the water the way it is configured and get it on plane. Pay attention to where the cavitation plate is in relation to the water flowing around it. Ideally, it should be riding just slightly above the water surface. After you figure out where the cavitation plate is running while on plane you can start thinking about making adjustments to the motor height.

Latest posts