I have devised a plan...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lariscy

Reaction score
I want a 17-18 foot aluminum center console boat in the worst possible way, however in my area they seem to be non existent or either people hold on to them very tightly. I have been looking at buying a brand new one but number one I don't like 4 stroke outboards and two I think what they ask for new outboards is outrageous so here is my dirty little scheme. Im going to find a trailer for cheap that can be modified to fit and clean it up real nice then Ill go by a brand new 1756 jon and have them set it on my cheap trailer. Once I get it home Ill fab up a console and search the craigslist for a nice 50-60hp jonnyrude for around 1k. When it's all said and done I should only have around 5-6k in the whole setup. Sound like a decent plan or am I delusional.

00 mod said:
Delusional. $1k for 50-60hp will be a good anchor. That's about it.

Really? I have been seeing alot of them in my local craigslist for around that price and they don't look to be junk. This could really depend on the local market...

https://augusta.craigslist.org/boa/2481323363.html

https://macon.craigslist.org/boa/2488701568.html

https://macon.craigslist.org/boa/2423816078.html

https://macon.craigslist.org/boa/2476481343.html

I only looked for 5mins one day, and I also am good friends with a couple of guys who are good friends with the owners of a few local marinas around the lake...

It's doable, you'll put in a lot of legwork. But I'm the same way, I refuse to pay too much just for the convenience of finding it easy.

Boat project always cost more than planned!!! :D

Outside of the center console, steering system, shifter cables, and prop, costs, need to look at all the other adders you will want/need to add to a "bare" hull. The list will grow and grow. ;)

+ fuel system,fish finder,trolling motor,gps,seating,batteries,livewell,carpet or floor coating......... its like the energizer bunny.

But IMHO it's easier to spend money on each of those things one at a time as the project grows, than to spend it all out of pocket at once. And when I'm done it'll be a custom rig to my needs not a cookie cutter boat.

That's the same way I feel add to that that I already have a trolling motor and depth finder and its not that bad. Also I do custom metal fabrication for a living so that opens even more doors.

Do it! I had the same idea before I lucked into a deal.

You can get a trailer for pretty cheap just about anywhere. With a little grinding, paint, and maybe some new bunks and wiring you will have a good as new trailer in no time.

Find yourslef a good hull. You mentioned a 1754..GOOD LUCK finding one used! 1648's are easier to come by though. The good thing about the tracker is that it comes with the aluminum floor already installed.

www.akmccallum.com has several different consoles to choose from to get that factory look. I like the alumacraft center console with the livewell/storage in front. It is narrow so it will fit perfect in a 1648. It is the same on they use in all thier center console factory rigged boats.

Now all you need is a motor!

I had the idea to get an old tracker TX17 with about a 60-90hp motor, gut it, paint it, and turn it into a center console.

What I really wanted to do though, is to turn a 1648 Alumacraft Mod-V NCS into a little center console rig. with the console on www.akmcallum.com rigged out with a merc40jet

Good luck

I priced hulls today and got my feelings hurt..

G3 1756 with CC 8500$ for just the hull said that was a 2011 model and they were going up in 2012. :shock:

I got quotes on a 1652 riveted Lowe from two different dealers and one was 1400 dollars more expensive for the same boat!

One dealer said 2500 and the other wanted 3900...

I guess I am stuck with going with the tracker which I really hate to do because I don't like undercutting the small guy but geesh who can afford not to...

I was at BPS in ATL today drooling over a boat they had out front, a tracker 2072 That thing is HUGE. And I was SHOCKED at the low price, just under 5k for the hull, and a hair over 6k for the hull and trailer. It's a bare bones hull, one bench seat in the rear, and that's it, completely open floor, all aluminum floor, very nice. I took some pics I'll try to upload tomorrow.