Foam or no foam?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatbotm

Reaction score
I am about to floor the low mid section of my boat. I have seen some put the pool floaties or pink building foam under this section of the boat. The wood I'm using does not need foam for support. Is there another reason to put more foam in or should I leave it out? There are pics and the same question posted in my build in Jon boat modifications.
Thanks for the help.

I am putting 1.5" foam under my floor. I dont know if I really need to. but two of the seats were taken out of my boat before i got it. Im putting the foam in to replace the seat flotation foam that was removed. Ive seen it done both ways. Good luck!

For me at the the end of the day I put foam in because it was cheap and the extra sound proofing was a plus for fishing.

So will the pool floaties have the same sound absorption as the pink foam? Floaties are on sale at walmart for 1.88.

I'm in the same boat as GvilleBlackBeard, ;) plan to add sheet floatation back when I add the floor and decks. No plans to test and verify if it is enough though. ;)

Go foam or noodles but try to avoid putting it within 4" of the bottom of the hull. One because it will absorb oil water and fuel spills causing it to become heavy or flamable and two because when you do need it having too much foam in the bottom tends to cause the boat to flip over.

I'm going to use the noodles, figuring out how much 12" of noodle will hold up and go from there. I'll put standoffs to keep the noodles from getting near the floor as well. Probably strap them to the bottom of the deck framework up front.

Jamie

Thanks Jaime this is why I asked. The area I am talking about the noodles will sit directly on the bottom of the boat. The floor will sit on the ribs.

got pool noodles in one and white stryofoam in two under my floor . at least it has something more than a hunk o metal . wish they made a plastic liner to put a gas tank in ,so wouldn't worry about spilled gas in bilg
just found add saying 4" pool noodle 58" long supports 300 lbs wow

I'm just glad I asked or I would have put the noodles in and had a potential bomb under my feet.

Sorry to butt in on this post but I'm new at this and it brings up a question. If you don't use the foam in the bottom 4" of the boat, what do you coat the bottom of your decking with if it rests on the bottom of the boat? Im talking about a low deck that just has plywood over runners. How do you coat the bottom of the runners to keep them quiet?

I thought of this after I started putting my floor in but you could use 3m spray adhesive and floor muffler (the roll out foam they use under laminate flooring).

YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE FOAM YOU USE IS CLOSED CELL FOAM OR IT WILL ABSORB WATER AND HAVE THE EXACT OPPISITE EFFECT ITS SUPPOSED TOO. I USED THE 1.5 INCH PINK FOAM BARD FROM LOWES/HD AND GLUED IT IN WITH GREAT STUFF, NO PROBLEMS SO FAR

Latest posts