what've I got here? 14' starcraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acabtp

Reaction score
Got a boat from a farmer, don't know much about it. Looking to find out at least the decade of production, but model, capacity, etc. would be nice too. It looks a lot like Dyin2Fish's 1951 14' starcraft, but there are a few differences.

-Stern handles are cast and part of transom end caps, has star on it
-There is no hull ID on the boat. Title has NJZxxxxxHULL for the HID (indicating it was just issued by the state for titling purposes). The year is listed as 1980 on the title, but there is no way to verify if that is correct because of the generated HID.
-14' long, 16" transom
-Gunwales are not wood. Appear to be aluminum riveted in place.
-Appears to have been originally fitted with 3 bench seats
-Starcraft logo is in all caps and has a small second "T"
5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I haven't been able to find the model plate because of the carpeting. Where should I look for it? Thanks in advance for any info,
Tom

Looks just like mine. I haven't gotten my title back yet, but if you look at my link, another guy on here said it's a 1967. He has a pic of his boat on the link as well. Might have to copy and paste it, not sure how to make it a link.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19758

JonBoatfever said:
good lokking boat
thank you!

pworm said:
Looks just like mine. I haven't gotten my title back yet, but if you look at my link, another guy on here said it's a 1967. He has a pic of his boat on the link as well. Might have to copy and paste it, not sure how to make it a link.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19758
Hmm... They are very close. Lots of stuff is the same, transom handles, transom support. But I am pretty sure it is a different boat. My boat doesn't have any creases on the floor below the splash rails like yours does. It looks like yours is more rounded where mine has a steeper chine angle with flatter floor and sides. Incidentally, the '67 seafarer the guy posted in your thread also does not have the creases on the floor like yours either. It looks like your transom was replaced at some point in a different than stock configuration. Mine has a 1" dip.

I decided to rip up the carpet and see what was going on underneath. Pretty much what I expected... the plywood floors were rotten and the support structure was also rotted, so I ripped it all out.
6.jpg

A half hour with the prybar and shop vac later, we have the obligatory "empty boat from above" shot that every rebuilt thread seems to begin with.
7.jpg

I whipped together a 5-minute bench from some scraps that I had around.
8.jpg

Now that I have a place to sit that won't collapse and can see the inside of the hull, it is time to take it out for a float/leak test.

If I remember correctly prior to 1970 the US Coast Guard did not require capicity/model plates. So, you might not have had one ever if it is a 1967 model boat. At least according to this:

https://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/ReviewPages/BoatUSF/Project/info1a.htm

Latest posts