12ft Valco boat -refinishing in process- Any ideas?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
aeviaanah

Post by aeviaanah » 05 Aug 2011, 21:29

jigngrub wrote:
Good information, ill be sure to take note. Is Gluvit just regular epoxy paint? I got some laying around at work I could use. As long as it is flexible, it should do the job right?

I noticed my boat has a chain with a clip hook near the transom, is this for chaining the motor to the boat?
Gluvit is a specially formulated marine coating for sealing very small voids. It's not an epoxy. I would use the Gluvit.

The chain and hook is a "leash" for your outboard motor, use it! There's a guy on another forum that lost his 15 hp when he hit a log while underway in 4' of water and he's been looking for it for 3 weeks. He's sick about it because he had a chain but didn't hook it up.
Man that must suck...ill be sure to chain up my outboard after i buy one. Im lookin at a new 9.9-15hp mercury. Which brands have been gettin good reviews lately?
BassBlaster wrote:Could be for the motor I guess. Keep it from sinking if it ever came off. My old boat had a small chain that the plug was on so I didnt lose it.
Right on, ill have a chain for both the plug and motor!
1971 12' Valco Mod-V - Current progress...

Xtremeboats
aeviaanah

Post by aeviaanah » 08 Sep 2011, 18:44

I just bought some snow white roof sealer. You guys think it would be good to seal the inside of an aluminum boat with this stuff? It says it will seep into cracks and seal, its also very flexible... Bonds to aluminum....seems durable, its for roofing. I got a test strip drying now, id like to see how a top layer of spray paint holds to it.

aeviaanah

Post by aeviaanah » 17 Sep 2011, 19:22

Hows it goin everyone? Hopefully someone from the decking thread will come to help me along.

I got the whole outside of the boat finished, back to beautiful aluminum. Just need to seal the water line seam, paint, deck and carpet.

I am currently working on cleaning the inside of the boat. My intentions were to use a self etching primer for bare aluminum spots. After that i was going to paint inside with trunk paint. Its a gray automotive paint that is speckled with white for a clean look. Not exactly sure the best way to seal inside of boat. It leaks pretty bad and i was wanting to seal it completely.

Should I just rough up existing paint (seems to be holding real well) And use 3m 5200 directly over seam and rivits? I will be carpeting and decking and want to make sure boat is 100 percent leak free before i begin the decking process.

For the external lap joint, i was going to use a syringe to squeeze a fine bead of 3m 5200 inside. Ive already lifted the seam to get in there as much as possible. After that i was going to put another filler pass for extra sealant. For the rivits, i was hoping the 3m 5200 on the inside of the boat would seal that. This way i can keep boat external looking good. Not too worried about all the sealant on the inside of the boat as i will be carpeting and painting. Most will be covered by deck anyway.

I will also be sealing around the transom to hull joints...inside and out. Same sealant.

A few other questions...

When decking from the middle seat to the front of the boat, whats the best way to do this? I plan on hinging a few spots to stuff junk in there. Also how to support the deck where it meets aluminum at the front of the boat. Should i rivit in some ledger angles?

Im currently making two aluminum transom gussets to replace the one factory made gusset that has cracked out. I was thinking two would be better than one. Where is the best place to place these? Would two be better than one, allowing for a larger motor? What transom mods can be done to ensure safety with a larger motor? I think boat is rated 10hp, i plan on going 15. I was going to copy how the transom boards were done from factory...not sure what kind of wood to use. I will be treating all wood with a few heavy coats of spar urethane.

I was also thinking, should I add an extra layer of aluminum to the transom? Wrap the back and around the two 90 deg. brakes at the top of the transom? Would this be worth the work?

Here are a few pictures of what I am trying to achieve....