Pedestal seat removal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBiscuit

Reaction score
Looking for some tips on getting these taper lock seat pedestals out of the bases. I've tried several ideas of my own, but for the life of me, I can't seem to pull the pedestals from the bases.
Any ideas?

010.jpg

008.jpg

There is a pointed side to line it up and a plastic locking tab that has to be squeezed in order to pull the pedestal from the base. It cannot be twisted. It needs to be pulled straight up. I can't believe plastic against cast aluminum can be so difficult to separate.

Get some duct tape and wrap it around that tab to hold it, or get someone to depress it for you. Put a section of 2x6 under the seat and hit upward with a hammer!

Gently at first, then if that doesn't work Beat the crap out of it! Don't destroy anything though.

Is it both the front and rear seats or just one thats stuck? If you got one out and just cant get the other this method of "convincing" should work. If you are stuck on both it might be operator error. Do you still have the number of the guy you bought it from? You could call and ask him, or ask a boat dealer that uses the same mounts. They are pretty common. I have seen them on several boats.

Hopefully some one that has them will chime in.

I'm pretty certain it's not "operator error", but they are all stuck in the bases. I did try taping the tab so I could get a good grip on the post. I'm thinking they need some sort of lubricant once I get them removed. Probably something like a lithium grease.
I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

Got them out today. =D>
Just a bad mix of white powdery crud and the tapered plastic bushing. Drove a screwdriver in each side and pried up until they popped. I cleaned up the bases with scotch brite and WD-40. Cleaned the plastic bushings, then sprayed well with white lithium grease. The pedestals pop in and out just fine now.
Thanks for the suggestions reedjj :mrgreen:

Latest posts