Towing A Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass n Bows

Reaction score
Since I am new to boating I just wanted to know if it is really difficult backing up a trailer and launching a boat? I am going to practice backing up the trailer in a big parking lot by my house. How do you launch a boat, how do you load the boat back up?
Sorry I'm asking so many questions, my dad isnt around to give me advice anymore and I don't know of anyone to ask.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bass n Bows said:
Since I am new to boating I just wanted to know if it is really difficult backing up a trailer and launching a boat? I am going to practice backing up the trailer in a big parking lot by my house. How do you launch a boat, how do you load the boat back up?
Sorry I'm asking so many questions, my dad isnt around to give me advice anymore and I don't know of anyone to ask.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well its easy to get the hang of it. At the beginning you might seem like a slithering snake to keep it straight as your backing, but eventually you will be a pro. How I launch I put my trailer in the water covering both wheels on my trailer, and then as the boat is floating abit I have a partner hold it with the ropes and I do a quick dunk and let it float off the trailer as I go forward. Putting on the trailer I drive the boat up. For this I keep only the back set of wheels in the water so the rear of the boat dont go all over the place. My trailer has bunks rather than rollers.

I do the same thing but I tie a rope to the tow ring. I back the boat into the water deep enough as to where it starts to float a bit off the trailer, then I unhook it from the trailer and push it off while holding the rope. Once it clears the trailer I pull the boat to shore, park the truck and hop in. Then I do the same putting it back on. My boat is 16.5 feet and weighs nothing, its real easy to do it this way by myself.

Hey B and B:

It takes a little practice to do it correctly. I woudl suggest hanging out at the local boat ramp on a weekend for a few hours, not only makes for great entertainment but you will quickly pick up the dos and dont's of launching.

Make yourself a quick checklist of stuff to do prior to launching, you will be surprised about how easy it is to forget things once you get excited about putting the boat in.

1. Put in the plug;
2. Make sure you have a mooring line or two attached;
3. Make sure the towing safety chain or rope is off;
4. Check you PFDs, fire extinguisher etc, are on board;
5. Check your battery and connections, same with fuel line
6. Check the **** plug again!

Backing up is probably the most difficult thing, especially for a beginner. Practice in an empty parking lot, and give it time a few hours at least. Set out some cones or markers (anything will work, empty cardboard boxes, etc.) and practice backing up at least 50 yards and putting the boat square between the markers.

Finally, when you are ready for your 1st launch, pick a place with no current (not a river) and a windless day. Find a nice concrete ramp with a decent drop off.

Good luck and post up any questions

I hope you can picture what I am saying.
Backing your trailer can be real simple With practice it will become second nature.
The easy way to do it is to place both hands on the bottom of your steering wheel with your thumbs pointing away from each other.
Then as you start to back down just follow your thumbs,,,, to get the trailer to turn just raise the thumb that is pointing in the direction you want the trailer to go..
I hope you can understand this also go very slow to start off..
good luck
Wayne

Something I just thought of, and some people do it, and some don't. I unplug the trailer lights before launching, and don't plug them back in until I have the boat back on the trailer and out of the water.

If your tow vehile is a pickup, and you have enough clearance between the tailgate and the front of the boat/winch post (even in real tight turns), you can put the tailgate down and it'll help you see the boat better when launching. Just check to see if the bow or winch post is gonna hit the tailgate first.

My biggest problem is seeing the empty trailer when backing-down the ramp to retrieve the boat. There;s a moment when the slope of the ramp puts the trailer lower than the rear of the truck. Putting the tailgate down eliminated that problem. I can do that with this trailer, as the winch post seems further away from the tailgate. With the Tracker, the winch post was closer and I couldn't make real tight turns with the tailgate down, or the winch post would hit it.

Waterwings said:
Something I just thought of, and some people do it, and some don't. I unplug the trailer lights before launching, and don't plug them back in until I have the boat back on the trailer and out of the water.

If your tow vehile is a pickup, and you have enough clearance between the tailgate and the front of the boat/winch post (even in real tight turns), you can put the tailgate down and it'll help you see the boat better when launching. Just check to see if the bow or winch post is gonna hit the tailgate first.

My biggest problem is seeing the empty trailer when backing-down the ramp to retrieve the boat. There;s a moment when the slope of the ramp puts the trailer lower than the rear of the truck. Putting the tailgate down eliminated that problem. I can do that with this trailer, as the winch post seems further away from the tailgate. With the Tracker, the winch post was closer and I couldn't make real tight turns with the tailgate down, or the winch post would hit it.

I forgot to mention unplug the lights. I do it everytime. I give like a 10-15 minute wait for the lights and brakes to cool off.

If i unplug my lights my trailer tires lock up.
I havn't blown a bulb on my trailer so I'm not to worried about that and my brakes cool off while I'm unrigging..

I am thinking about swithcing to led lights they look cool

Wayne

redbug said:
I havn't blown a bulb on my trailer so I'm not to worried about that and my brakes cool off while I'm unrigging..

Wayne

I have LED on my Shoreland'r.

Salmon_Slayer_2008_Lund said:
redbug said:

Wayne

ah! Sounds like a good thought.

pbw said:
redbug said:

Wayne

ah! Sounds like a good thought.

Thing with my trailer is that the brakes don't lock once its unplugged from the power source. The brake switch is where the reciever ball goes like right behind so the brakes only get applied when the spring is compressed. The trailer came with a lock to put in this gap so when you reverse the brakes aren't being applied.

good luck with the trailering. Its an art, not just a skill, and just remember the shorter the trailer is, the HARDER it is to back up (especially if you are pulling it with big truck that doesn't turn already)!!

I trailer boats for a living, Big boats, up to 34, 35 foot, and i can get them into some very small places.

Tyhe easiest way to start learning is to turn arround. place your left hand on the steering wheel, right hand on the passenger seat and turn your body arround. dont try to start using your mirrors until you have mastered backing up while looking directly at it.

also remember in reverse, YOU contrtol the trailer, you tell it where to go, try not to let it get away so you have to keep chasing it all over the place. if that happens, just stop, pull forwaard and start over. Its not a hard skill to master, just a bit tricky.

good luck bud...

Also, the led lights dont create heat and wont crack like a standard bulb being heated up and placed in cold water. I changed every light on my trailer over to led (about $600 worth) and havent chasnged a light in almost 2 years now, i used to change at least one every 2 weeks

...just stop, pull forwaard and start over...

I've got the starting-over part down pat. There's been times in the past when I first started backing, and trying to get it straightened-out in the driveway, that I would stop, turn the truck off, go in the house and have a cup of coffee, smoke a couple of cigarettes, then go out and get it accomplished. :)

Waterwings said:

I've got the starting-over part down pat. There's been times in the past when I first started backing, and trying to get it straightened-out in the driveway, that I would stop, turn the truck off, go in the house and have a cup of coffee, smoke a couple of cigarettes, then go out and get it accomplished. :)

Unfortunately I got weird neighbors. If I did that, there would be the city hall by law enforcement already writing up a nice ticket.

Waterwings said:

Unfortunately I got weird neighbors. If I did that, there would be the city hall by law enforcement already writing up a nice ticket.

Even if you left it parked crooked in your own driveway?

Waterwings said:
Waterwings said:

Even if you left it parked crooked in your own driveway?

Ya man. I had calls for when my boat was parked half on my driveway and half on my grass.

Latest posts