Seat Placement Question?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trouble

Reaction score
First off I want to thank you for such a great site! This is the best site for this kind of information on the web. Since this is my first post I'll introduce myself, my name is David and I'm from Point Pleasant, WV. I just inherited a 1436 Terry Jon Boat and I want to put a couple seats in it. Now for my question, I’ve seen a couple builds on here that have mounted the seat in the middle. Does mounting the seat there instead of to the left make it awkward to steer the boat?

It all depends on what motor you are running.
trolling motor: should be no problem because you can move it to an end of the transom with out effecting weight.
Gas motor: most motors have the tiller on the side of the motor giving it a 6" offset from the middle of the boat, but the new e-tecs and the evinrude Johnson 8/9.9/15 from 1993-2005 the tiller was relatively in the center.

I would offset it for a gas motor (and I have) but like mentioned, if you intend to row the boat at all, maybe not.

Heres my old 1448 with the rear seat offset for the 25/20 jet tiller. This was during the build, but its a good shot that you can see how far its offset.

offset.jpg

Thank's guys, I took the plunge yesterday and bought a new Tracker 1542 :D . So, right now any mods are on hold due to a lack of funds :( . I guess for now I'll just have to go fishin' :wink:

Latest posts