Maximum HP rating?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish4thriLLs

Reaction score
Okay, my first time posting a new topic on this site is a question.

My boat has a "specification plate"(or whatever it's called) on the back inside transom. I can't read it at all because it's been painted over and the boat was exposed to the elements for several years. #-o Judging from the pics below and the specs in my signature, can anyone tell me what the maximum horsepower outboard motor rating would be on my boat? Also, what other information is found on that same plate? Can I get a replacement plate for my boat?

Thanks to any and all who respond with anything of help.

Attachments

• 2010 Camping Trip 016.jpg
    2010 Camping Trip 016.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 702
  • 2010 Camping Trip 017.jpg
    2010 Camping Trip 017.jpg
  • 2010 Camping Trip 020.jpg
    2010 Camping Trip 020.jpg
  • 2010 Camping Trip 021.jpg
    2010 Camping Trip 021.jpg
  • 2010 Camping Trip 018.jpg
    2010 Camping Trip 018.jpg
Lowe's are good boats, and if your transom has knee braces, I'd say 50 hp console and maybe 35-40 tiller. Does it ride low in the back now? I'm not saying that's what it's rated for, but it might be and I'm sure it could handle it.

I'm assuming "knee braces" are the braces coming from the bottom of the rear of the boat and then attaching to the transom? If so, then yes my boat has two of them. And no, my boat doesn't ride low in the back.

If I get checked by Water Patrol, how can they know if I have a legal size motor on my boat if they can't read the plate? Is it possible to get a replacement plate for my boat?

Thanks again for your replies.

If you know the year you may may be able to find some info here.

https://www.iboats.com/Lowe_Boats/bp/20br2000

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and I found that I had been there before. The Lowe "Big Jon" seems to be the closest to mine (but I've yet to find a pic of one exactly like mine). If so, then it looks like it's 35 hp max. I know a guy who has a 35 hp made for console steering and he probably would sell it. HHHmmmmmm.......is it much trouble to convert from tiller steering to console steering, since I don't have a console?

My boat's info plate states that maximum hp for it is 20hp. So, while shopping for a new motor, one trusted dealer said that he doesn't carry 20hp motors but would sell me a 15hp. He did state that he could sell me a 25hp but would not as the liability issue would be on him knowing what my limitations were.

UPDATE: Okay, I got out the magnifying glass and was able to make out most of what the plate has on it. It says that I do indeed have a 16' Lowe Big Jon and that the maximum HP rating for it is 35 hp. Maximum person capacity is 590 lbs. and maximum gear and person capacity is 890 lbs.

Thanks to all who responded and everyone viewing. :)