salt water??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
I'm heading down to Florida in Sept and have been contemplating on wether or not I should take my boat. If I do well just fish canals, flats, and some in the icw.

My question is will the salt water sex my boat up? My main concern is the tolling motor and electrical stuff on the boat. The place were staying in sarasota has fresh water at the dock so I can flush the outboard after every use.

What would yall do? Id like to take it but if there's any chance of frigging any parts up ill be more than happy to bank fish or get a charter for a day

The rig is a 89 tracker 17tx pro with a 50 jonnyrude and a 56lb motorguide tm never been in saltwater before

Salt is tough on boats - especially if not everything is designed for use in the salt. They made salt water trolling motors - you can use a non-salt water TM but I suggest that you wash it off after each day.

You should also invest in some Salt Away https://www.saltawayproducts.com/ and use this to rinse everything

So, my answer is - yes, you can use your boat, but be prepared to spend some time cleaning

it will be fine but make sure you wash everything GOOD! flush motor out extremly well. i take mine to a lake after salt water use to get all the salt the hose missed off. again wash everything!

I currently fish a 16' crestliner and a 12 foot jon in the salt on a regular basis and they are only the most current in a long list of tin boats that have lived long lives running in saltwater. Don't freak out...your boat will be fine. Give it a good rinse with the hose when you finish for the day and you'll have no problems. You can flush the motor for peace of mind if you like but it will be fine if you don't.

Be more concerned about your gear than the boat. Freshwater reels and rods will rust overnight if you forget to rinse them.

Salt-away works but I don't think it is necessary.

Thanks for the tips fellers put my mind at ease.

This will be my first time fishing on my own boat in Florida in 10 years, I can't wait. Hope my old spots still hold some good snook and reds

I take my 14' tinny to San Diego Bay all the time...got an old 25hp Johnson and a saltwater TM....none of them have EVER given me a problem due to the saltwater. I pull it through a coin-op car wash after every trip and spend 20-30 minutes washing everything off, but other than that, nothing special...sometimes I'll flush the engine, but not everytime. Just put a new water pump on it this week and saw zero issues while digging around inside....

Now, if the unit's going to sit in SW for extended periods, then you might have issues, but occasional forays aren't going to hurt anything...

I have been fishing the Tampa Bay area/ Fort Desoto and all over florida for years in my 15' John with a 25 yamaha. My trolling motor is the cheep 30 trust Minn Kota. I got a new one last year, the previous one lasted 12 years and I did nothing to it. Maybe a give it a rinse every once in awhile.

Its been pretty good from early morning/6 until about 10. Still catching trout over 20 inches and the Fort has some really big reds. Its about time for me to start fishing for inshore snapper/Mango. I hardly ever fish the evenings so I dont know how the fishing has been then.

Latest posts