Boat Covers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whistler

Reaction score
Just wanting some general info on boat covers. Bass-Pro catalog doesn't list one for a jon boat for the size I need. My boat is not mentioned in the Customs list of most manufactures so I have to go the semi-custom route. That kind of worries me growing up around motorcycles and buying the "universal fitsall" model so to speak. I don't need the best available but my boat does sit outside and the sun is tough on things. For some reason I can't get the hang of the blue tarp and bungee cords. A good wind and it's flapping in the wind and in shreds. What types of covers and materials are you using?

For my aluminum boat, I actually use a "custom" cover that came with my fiberglass boat. It has an adjustable center post with four straps to go to each corner then the cover drapes over it and attaches to the trailer. It is even long enough to cover the outboard motor.

I made a "pup tent" type wooden frame for my fiberglass boat and drape a standard plastic tarp over the boat and motor. I use laundry lines to tie it down to the trailer on the sides, front and back over the motor. It really keeps the boat dry in the winter as the slopes just shed water right off, just like a tent! The secret is to tie it down snugly so the wind doesn't move it. It needs to be replaced once per year as the summer sun will eat the plastic but at about $20, it's cheap enough.

Latest posts