Flush Mount Rod Holders

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought four of the Attwood flush mounts. They just say drill a 2.5" pilot and bring you own 1/4" panhead screws. I'm going to try and turn them a bit so they hold the rods in a fan orientation. Plan is us them for catfishing and just to hold the spare rods out of the way when bass fishing.

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
I just bought four of the Attwood flush mounts. They just say drill a 2.5" pilot and bring you own 1/4" panhead screws. I'm going to try and turn them a bit so they hold the rods in a fan orientation. Plan is us them for catfishing and just to hold the spare rods out of the way when bass fishing.

Jamie

What's the diameter of your tubes? Mine are 2" - I was planning to cut a 2 1/8 hole.

Are yours angled?

I've installed several on my "big" boat. It is pretty straight forward for 0 degree models (ones with no tilt): you just cut a hole straight through the surface you are mounting them on and drop the rod holder in.

If you have angled holders it is best to cut a drill bit guide from a chunk of 2 X 4: Figure out what the angle of the holder is and set that angle on a miter saw and whack a 2 X 4 at that angle. Place your angled 2 X 4 on the mounting surface so you can lay the bit of the drill on the angle you cut as you push it through the mounting surface. Alternately, if you have a drill press with a pivoting head (or table) you can cut a hole at the correct angle for the rod holder through a piece of scrap wood and use that for the drill guide on your mounting surface. After you have the pilot hole cut at the correct angle you can follow it up with a hole saw.

I typically cut the holes the same diameter as the shaft of the rod holder and then use a Dremel tool to open them up if needed. Most hole saws seem to make a slightly bigger hole than the measurement on the side so you rarely have to do too much Dremel grinding.

These guys from Walmart for $7 each.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/product/177_185-watersports-and-fishing-rod-holders/18250--attwood-flush-mount-white-boat-rod-holder-pair.html

They have the same angle as the side of my hull (60`) and say to drill a 2.5" hole for them to fall into. The tube at the flange measures 2.5" x2". The tube ID is 1.6"

Jamie