buying first boat...question on stability

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcoastwhacker

Reaction score
Im looking into buying a flat bottom jon boat for duck hunting/fishing and am curious about the stability. im looking to buy used (most likely craigslist) and in my price range ( around $800) for a boat and trailer package, i am mainly finding 1436 jons. How stable are these size jon boats? are they a good size for shooting out of with out it rocking back and forth? i plan on putting a floor in it, possibly a front and rear deck with mostly an open floor plan in the middle, and i have a 20hp 2 stroke 78' suzuki.

hows that look for stability? ive never been in a jon boat before. thanks!

I would try to find a Jon boat that has a 48 inch wide floor instead of a 36 inch one, much more stable. I have had MANY jon boats in my life and I am speaking from experience here. There are many good brands and some of the best are Monark, Sea Ark, G3 etc, alot of the older hulls used thinner guage aluminum (0.60"-0.80") in their construction and the more modern manufacturers used 0.100"- 0.125" thick aluminum, the latter being VERY stout boats and means much when thinking about the boat "flexing" when fully loaded in rough water. I hope you find a nice one! :D

Latest posts