License questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennislhelton

Reaction score
My father inlaw gave me a 14' jon boat it is his couzins it has been at my inlaws since 99-00. It has no title but there is pink slip. How would I go about getting this old bucket legL?

Any help would b
Awesome, thKs

Depends where you live. In OH all boats under 14 feet dont require a title. I assume more places are like that because most 14' boats are more like 13'-10".

Both the laws you are subject to, and the entities which you must deal with vary by state. To that, I will add that it may matter where the boat was last registered, and where you are currently trying to register it.

So, as Ahab mentioned, we need to know where you are to help you out of your pickle. 8)

OMG! I JUST AGREED W/ AHAB!!! :shock:

azekologi said:
OMG! I JUST AGREED W/ AHAB!!! :shock:

Bwhahahhhha - My evil plan is working, soon you will all be under my control - BwaHahahahahha

52.gif

52.gif
52.gif
52.gif

52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif

52.gif

52.gif

52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif

Dennislhelton said:
My father inlaw gave me a 14' jon boat it is his couzins it has been at my inlaws since 99-00. It has no title but there is pink slip. How would I go about getting this old bucket legL?

Any help would b
Awesome, thKs
Live in MO and been though this.

If your boat is solely powered by oars it need not be titled. If it is shorter than 12 feet it need not be titled. If it is only going to be on a private pond it need not be titled. I spent allot of time on the phone trying to figure it out. According to the Water Patrol, State License people and tax people it basically means if your boat is designed to take a motor (regardless if you put a motor on it) it needs to be titled, it if will be on any water that is not private. Conservation people will tell you no matter what the design is they don’t care as long as there is no motor on it, but they do not make the rules.

Not sure what a "pink slip" is if it is not a title. If you can track down the person who titled it last they and only them can request a title search. If that is not possible you will have to advertise it for a period time, to make sure no one else lays claim to it. You then go to court and the judge can they make a judgment allowing you to title it in your name.

in some states you can get what some call a sherifs title kinda for estate sales where noone knows where it is kinda thing . they want you to register it they make money off it . might talk to someone that does estate sales just a thought.

The Missouri Water Patrol has several locations that will verify the HIN number on your boat. All you need is a bill of sale and if the boat checks out they will issue a affidavit of ownership. Take that and bill of sale to DMV and there ya go. Here's the link to the Water Patrol site and locations that they do the inspections.

https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/WaterPatrol/serialNumberVerificationStations.html

MoHops said:
The Missouri Water Patrol has several locations that will verify the HIN number on your boat. All you need is a bill of sale and if the boat checks out they will issue a affidavit of ownership. Take that and bill of sale to DMV and there ya go. Here's the link to the Water Patrol site and locations that they do the inspections.

https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/WaterPatrol/serialNumberVerificationStations.html

I say that page and called about the Patrol about that when I was looking for a Jon Boat. After spending MORE THAN A MINUTE being transferred around I talked to an officer and then an Inspector. The inspector said that is not as easy as it sounds. The inspector said you still need proof of ownership.

From what he told me if the boat is form a state that doesn't reqire license or title for these boats you need a bill of sale with proof it was form out of state. I had to title a trailer this way from TN, TN doesn't require you to title or have plates on a non-commercial cargo trailer, MO does. It is the same process for a boat. I had the original bill of sale form the shop in TN I bought it from. If didn't have that they weren't going to let me register it, I final was able to dig it up. I had bought the trailer in 99. I was in the Army so I would back it up and use it for moving. When I got to a new duty station I would store it. I wasn’t until I got out of the Army in MO that I actually registered it.

I asked the inspector if I had a notarized bill of sale from the previous owner if that would be good enough. The inspector said no. If it was an MO boat then the previous owner could file for a lost title. If the “previous owner” wasn’t the last person to title it then there was no proof he was actually the previous “legit” owner. If he was he could just file for lost title. There is other vague "laws" on what needs to be titled in MO.

The OP already has this boat and isn’t out any money if he can't title it. It is worth as try to do as the page instructs, I am interested in the results. You can pick up Jon Boats out my way for $200-$300 that don't have title. I didn't want to talk chances and buy a boat I couldn’t easily title. After what I heard I was about to head to Bass Pro and buy one there until I ran across the one that actual had a title.

Latest posts