homemade jackplate ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astross89

Reaction score
I have a j16 skiff with a 4 stroke 25hp that bolts on (not clamp) that I need to get the motor up. I will be making a jackplate out of 3x3 angle. My question is do I need a motor plate or can I bolt the motor direct to the aluminium angle?

Not an expert here, and Im sleeping at a Sheraton hotel tonight.

I would put a plate between teh two pieces of angle iron for strength. Without the plate, the angle will move from side to side even though it botled to the motor.

I have a bruch guard bolted to angle iron on the front of my truck, and it vibrates side to side all teh time. Im using 1/4" steel angle bolted to teh frame. Your mtor will do the same thing, only worse, you need to reinforce the brackets to eliminate the motion.

the aluminum plate will stiffen it and not add to much weight. 'bobs machine shop' has pretty good pictures if the minni jack plate you could look at to get an idea. they use a 3/8 plate 12x 18

I made one for my jon boat, I used 2 3" angle aluminum rods for the bases, and 2 more flipped to make it adjustable. Secured it with four SS bolts and two sheets of marine grade plywood. let me see if i can find a picture.

DSC02371.jpg
terrible picture but it's the only one i can find. i'll keep looking.

i bought one from a member on here. its not adjustable but is 2 - aluminum 2x2's welded with a 1/4" plate on both sides. put my motor dead on where it needs to be.

Attachments

• boat 4.jpg
    boat 4.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 1,082

Latest posts